Tuesday, April 23, 2013

T is for Temptation


“Miss. Chambers?” the deep voice asked.

Maggie’s eyes rose from the papers on her desk to a twenty-something with dark brown hair and darker eyes.

“Yes?” she responded, more forcefully than she meant to. “Are you Mr. Brooks?”

He smiled, sitting down on one of the desks in front of hers. “That’s me. I came as soon as you called. Is there a problem?”

“Miss Chambers?” he asked again when he got no answer.

Maggie let out a shaky breath and looked up from his full lips. “I’m sorry, usually I see Ms. Brooks when Tommy acts up.”

“Tommy’s mom was busy, so she asked me to come instead,” he answered, folding his arms across his chest, which, unfortunately for Maggie, only helped to define the muscles there.

“Just Tommy’s mom…she’s not your wife?” Maggie stammered; her eyes too bright.

“No, she my wife, too,” he answered, confused by the sudden disappointment on Miss Chamber’s face.

 

For those of you who don’t know, my debut novel, The Newstead Project, is being released on May 1, 2013. If any of you would like to review it for your blog, please email me at Melanie@melanieschulz.com

45 comments:

  1. Wonderful writing. enjoyed it.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, don't want to be Maggie ... but no worry Maggie, I heard there is a saying in dating circle when you encounter such disappointment - "next" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! Sweet disappointment. Another one got away. I enjoyed it. Best regards to you. Ruby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your writing style. Enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And people think only guys stare at chests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I'm afraid we're as guilty as you guys.

      Delete
  6. For one brief moment..... Poor Ms. Chambers... What a let down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everyone's wishing everyone was on the market...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, there's a sticky wicket. Of course, Mr. Wonderful is taken.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor Ms. Chambers! Congratulations on your new book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. But then poor Tommy would have his teacher as a stepmother and I don't think he'd be all that crazy about that one.

      Delete
  11. Aww, poor girl!
    Say, what'd Tommy do?

    ReplyDelete
  12. OoopZ....!! That was a disappointment!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. When you spend all day with seven year olds, any man looks good.

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Yes. She was already to their second child in the fantasy going through her mind.

      Delete
  15. Was a little odd he didn't say she was his wife up front though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And did you notice how he flexed his arm muscles? I'd say he was enjoying this a little too much.

      Delete
  16. I agree with Alex, seems like he was flirting a bit by saying Tommy's mom instead of my wife. Poor Miss Chambers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe Miss Chambers is better off, if he's going to be that way.

      Delete
  17. You're able to convey so much in a short little space. My mind is buzzing with ideas of what happens next. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, but unfortunately for Miss Chambers, nothing happens next.

      Delete
  18. That was awkward! Great little piece.

    ReplyDelete