Thursday, April 11, 2013

J is for Joel


 (Okay this isn’t a flash; it’s a scene from my book, The Newstead Project. You didn’t think I could let J pass by and not do Joel, did you?)

Neither of us said anything, at least not at first. When I was done eating, I took the box off my lap and put it next to me and leaned back on the railing to look at the stars. They were almost as bright there as they were at the trailer. I sighed contentedly, not realizing he was watching me until his quiet voice broke through the silence.

     “Rachel?” 

     I turned to look at the face that was staring intently at me. His cheeks were reddened, either from the cold, or from me looking at him. I should’ve taken the hint and looked away, but I couldn’t. It was the closest I’d been to that face since I’d met him. His eyes were fixed on me as mine dropped to the sudden movement in his neck as he swallowed. Slowly my eyes lifted to his lips that were parted just enough to see his breath freeze as it hit the air. Even still, he looked warm. Warm and soft and-   

     “Rachel?” 

     My eyes darted back up to his.

     “What were you thinking about just then?”   

     I flushed and looked away. “Nothing,” I said, shaking my head, trying to clear it.

    

 

50 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good book, enjoyed the part you wrote.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always loved the name Joel. I had a crush on an older boy named Joel when I was in high school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I picked it, I don't know anyone else named Joel, but I couldn't picture him with any other name.

      Delete
  3. We like J names in our family. Joel is a good one.

    Jenn @Scribbles From Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, me too. My father is John and my son is Jacob.

      Delete
  4. I love it! It sounds fabulous. Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a sneak peak of the first chapter on a tab up top if you're interested.

      Delete
  5. That was great.
    Love these kinds of moments between two characters and I enjoy your writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great little tidbit. I liked it! I'm looking forward to finding out more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. This book was so much fun to write.

      Delete
  7. Nice little scene... and then? :)

    auntyamo
    http://ficticiousamo.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and then they shook hands and went their separate ways. LOL.

      Delete
  8. Great description. Loved the description of his breath hitting the cold air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I wanted to show how intensely she was watching him.

      Delete
  9. I love the tension! Great scene.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. If your interested there is a sneak peak at the first chapter on a link above.

      Delete
  11. He sounds like a very lovely distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nothing? Fibber! :D
    Vivid scene, and I like the shorts you've posted so far.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good writing! I felt that moment of shyness, the inability to put feelings into words.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweet and romantic excerpt....

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was a cute snippet! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aw, I love this moment you've captured. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now I totally want to read your book. Loved the snippet.

    Thanks for checking out my AtoZ.
    Rhonda @Laugh-Quotes.com
    AtoZ #41

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay. I love romance, so I LOVE this!! Had me hooked immediately. SUCH a sweet scene. Great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. It is one of my favorites, before it all began.

      Delete
  19. Happy for you! Great excerpt on your new book.

    Chontali Kirk
    chontalikirk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete