Monday, April 22, 2013

S is for Salt in an Old Wound


“Sarah?” a voice from behind me called.

Every part of me froze, except for my heart, which apparently had never forgotten him; that part sped up and pounded in a not so unpleasant way.  I turned and there he was, standing less than five feet in front of me.  He was older, but then again, so was I. The years must’ve been happy ones for him. The lines around his eyes were the type that only came from a lifetime of smiling. He wasn’t alone, like I was. Tucked very closely against his side was an equally happy looking woman. Of course she was happy. She had him.

“You’re married now?” I asked before thinking. I didn’t think he he’d ever want to settle down; that was part of the reason I ended it.

He nodded. “Ten years next week.”

I didn’t have a response for that.

“Well, it was good to see you again,” he said with a slight smile, before turning to walk away. Again.


For those of you who don’t know, my debut novel, The Newstead Project, is being released on May 1, 2013. If any of you would like to review it for your blog, please email me at Melanie@melanieschulz.com