Saturday, April 20, 2013

R is for Rachel


This is another snippet from my book, The Newstead Project, because you see, R stands for Rachel.


     It turned out I was wrong about not seeing any girls.

     She was behind the counter, the pretty waitress, trying to ignore all the overgrown guys gawking at her. Her dark brown hair with soft curls was pulled back into a loose ponytail that was stuck through a stained, well-worn baseball cap. Pizza sauce and cheese splattered the front of her apron as the pizza she was carrying almost slid to the floor. From the looks of her, that wasn’t her first near miss. She raced past us to a waiting table that thankfully hadn’t noticed that their food had almost tested the five second rule.

     I was too busy watching her to realize that Seth was watching me. I know he thought he was being helpful when he reached out and grabbed her arm just as she was walking by. I know that, but it didn’t change the way I wanted to rip his arm off when he did it. She looked like she felt the same way.

     “Can you get my friend a refill?” he asked, still holding onto her arm. Her face was beet red. I don’t think she was scared, I think she was angry. She reached over and grabbed my cup. She never looked at Seth; no, her scowl was only for me.

     My breath held until Seth let her go.   


For those of you who don’t know, my debut novel, The Newstead Project, is being released on May 1, 2013. If any of you would like to review it for your blog, please email me at Melanie@melanieschulz.com