Tuesday, April 2, 2013

B is for Beauty and the Beast


     Brian waited by the door, sweat dripping down his face.

     He knocked again, less patiently that time. The whirl of the air conditioner was so loud he figured no one had heard him. It was a thin excuse at best, but greater stories than this have begun on weaker grounds. He reached for the handle.

     “Hello…I’m here about your ad,” he called out, closing the door behind him. He didn’t hear it lock, because he’d at least been right about the air conditioner; it was loud.

     Brian pulled out the flyer he’d found stapled to the telephone pole in front of the house: WANTED: Handyman needed for fixing things; top rate available.Top rate sounded good to him, with four mouths to feed at home and no work all summer.

     A door slammed deeper in the house and Brian left the kitchen, rightly figuring it would lead him to the person who’d written the notice. Footsteps on the stairs led him up and a light on in the bedroom led him in, just like it had the man from the day before, and the day before that.    

     The air conditioner was loud enough that the man walking in front of the house looking at the new flyer on the telephone pole didn’t hear the screams.

25 comments:

  1. Oooo... this is sooo good i want to read more!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. creepy good fright! love your flash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I'm so curious as to what happens. That's a pretty powerful ending line right there. Great job
    ~Summer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved that short. I shall be following this blog this month.

    www.lloydofgamebooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Brian! But that's great writing!
    Thanks for your visit to my site. Have a wonderful B day!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Melanie! Yikes, how creepy!! Those poor men. Great snippet! I can feel the tension.

    Happy A to Z-ing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes! Love this flash.
    Note to self: Stay away from houses with loud air conditioning units.
    (;

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am loving your original work! This is my first time visiting but I will be back. Please visit us at http://citymusecountrymuse2012.blogspot.com/ and please become a member if you like what you see!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Creepy! I love it!
    Happy A-Z'ing! Can't wait to see your other posts!

    AJ Lauer
    #atozchallenge helper minion
    Twitter: @ayjaylauer

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never walk into anyone's house! You never know what you might end up as.

    ReplyDelete
  11. More, more. That was great! Hope you'll visit back and follow as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! That was awesome! And I loved this line: It was a thin excuse at best, but greater stories than this have begun on weaker grounds.

    I love what you're doing with this challenge. Keep going!

    It was a thin excuse at best, but greater stories than this have begun on weaker grounds.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Craigslist Killer to the Extreme. It's like a Venus Flytrap house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right on! That was my inspiration for the story.

      Delete
  14. Awesome! Loved this. I was hoping it was going to a scary place. :D

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh! The tension is building.

    Dropping by from A to Z. First year participating.

    Brett Minor
    Transformed Nonconformist

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whoa! I so did not see that coming. You are great with the surprise endings. I love how you are using the A-Z theme so far. I'll definitely be back :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty scary stuff there. I like it a lot!
    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Interesting beginning...is there more? Good luck with the challenge! I participated last year and had a blast!

    Donna L Martin
    www.donasdays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh! Creepy and disturbing! I love it. New follower from the Challenge; I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  20. haha gruesome... but I like it :)


    auntyamo
    http://ficticiousamo.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete