Saturday, April 13, 2013

L is for Losers get the Last Laugh



“Finders keepers, losers weepers,” Mike said, making full use of his four inch height advantage by holding my new baseball mitt just out of my reach.
    “I didn’t lose it,” I grunted as I attempted to swat it down. It wasn’t working.
    “Well I say you did, so you did,” Mike retorted, standing on his toes when I started jumping.  
    “Enough Mike. Give it back.”
    “Or what?”
    I came real close to breaking a cardinal rule, I almost threatened to tell mom. Mike saw enough in my eyes to suspect as much. He glared defiantly down at me.

    “Fine, keep the stupid mitt; I don’t care,” I said and turned and stomped towards the house.

    Mom was in the kitchen, making our sandwiches for lunch.

    She called after me as I headed up the stairs, “You didn’t take that new mitt outside did you?”
    I swallowed hard. “No-why?”
    “We have to take it back to the store. Your dad told me we bought you a girl’s one by accident. Didn’t you notice the princess crown on the inside?”
    “That’s okay,” I called back, careful to keep the laugh in. “I’ll just use Mike’s old one.”    

34 comments:

  1. Really good to read .

    Enjoy your week-end.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It felt like time for something a bit lighter.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting piece.
    Keep it up.
    Keep coming
    Best

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike's a jerk, but maybe that's just hiding that he was secretly hoping all these years for a little princess crown.

    John at The Bathroom Monologues

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last laugh indeed! Fun little story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol, great story. I think I need to rewind through your old posts to find more.
    Fel Wetzig, The Peasants Revolt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that is funny - the big bro with the "princess" mitt. Really enjoyable flash fic. (You might want to revise for punctuation though.)
    New follower; great post! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahahahaha. Perfect ending. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. It's always good when a bully get's theirs, isn't it?

      Delete
  9. That is funny! Mike gets what he deserved. I also like H is for Horrow. Clowns get a bad rap, I think. I mean, Santa is just a creepy and at least clowns don't see you when you're sleeping--we hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. Santa has always given me the creeps.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. hopefully it will be a good long time before he finds out and he has to wonder how many people saw it before he did.

      Delete
  11. Yes! Best unintentional revenge tactic ever! xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unintentional tend to be so much sweeter. Maybe it's the lack of effort on our part.

      Delete
  12. Love the twist, Mike gets the princess one :) Sometimes revenge is sweet.

    Thanks for checking out my AtoZ.
    Rhonda @Laugh-Quotes.com
    AtoZ #41

    ReplyDelete
  13. A-ha! So I guess it all works out for everyone then.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was good with a good ending! :)

    ReplyDelete