Wednesday, April 10, 2013

I is for Ice Queen



“Sara? Is that you?”
     I glanced up automatically before my brain registered who it was. I quickly looked back down, but it was too late. She'd seen me.      
     “I thought that was you,” she said pleasantly, closer now. It was impossible to pretend she wasn’t there.
     I looked up, meeting her eyes.  “Nadia.”
     Her smile was just what I expected it to be; as full as Angelina Jolie’s lips and just as fake. 
    “I was looking for you last night at Mark’s house, but I didn’t see you there,” she said, her mouth turned down into a frown.   
     My face enflamed. “I…I was out shopping with my sister last night.” I hated that I stuttered. 
     “That’s not why you weren’t there,” she said knowingly, with that sticky sweet smile back on her face. “You weren’t there because you weren’t invited. I think you were about the only one.”
     That smile stayed on her face as she turned and walked away, only that time it was real.