Thursday, April 26, 2012

W is for Words


Which words are the right words? That is the question. As writers we know what we want to say, but how to say it? I’ve often found that a single word can change the feel of an entire paragraph.
I didn’t start out intending to write Young Adult. I had a story that I wanted to tell and I wrote it. It just happened to be happening to a sixteen year old. Because of that, the voice of my character ended up sounding rather, well, not like a sixteen year old. But as time has passed and the story has been revised, I’ve chosen other words to tell the same story. I didn’t “dumb it down”, I spent time watching and listening and I enlisted the help of the most wonderful Alpha in the world (thanks Matt). In other words I wanted the words, the voice, to be authentic. How else would my readers give a crap about what happens to my MC if they can't relate to him?

No comments:

Post a Comment