Friday, April 13, 2012

L is for Longevity

What makes some books, some authors, last in the market longer than others? The other day I bought CARRIE, Steven King’s debut novel that was released in 1974. I’ve never read it. I’ve read most of the rest of his early stuff, but never that. I wanted to see what his debut would look like. But he’s just one. There are many authors whose work has stood the test of time. I’ve heard one agent describe it as wanting a perennial, not an annual. As a gardener, I got what he was saying. He wants someone who will keep producing year after year, not just one novel, but many. And as a writer, I know that’s what I want, too. I think it’s what we all want. I don’t think any of us dream of being a one hit wonder in the literary world. So what happens? What’s the secret- Besides great writing of course; I’ve seen great authors produce only one book.

Any thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. Interesting question. I love Stephen King too. For me when I was a teenage reader, I love the horror, suspense, and originality. Now as an adult, I love his world building and characterization. I think his books have something to appeal to different generations that speak of things that are always fresh.

    ReplyDelete