Thursday, April 5, 2012

E is for Enigma

This is what I hope to always achieve as a writer. I want my readers to always be guessing and even when the end happens I want them blown off their seats.
I want them thinking for days later –How did that happen?
Those are the books I really love; the Count of Monte Cristo of the literary world. They have you guessing the entire way only to find out at the end you were wrong. Dead wrong.
Steven King is another author that I think does this very well. I’ve often thought he reminded me a lot of a modern day Edgar Allen Poe, minus the marrying his thirteen year old cousin of course. His books have that something that keeps you guessing right up to the very end.
As an author, what are your goals? What heights do you hope to achieve?

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely wonderful question! I hope to evoke a sense of spirit and tradition when I write. I hope that the reader leaves with a fragrant scent along with a story. (my 'A', 'B', and 'D' are actually that way, if you'd like to read. 'C' and 'E' are not from so far deep inside of me.)

    I've only read a little from Stephen King, he is stunning, but Poe is magic.

    Nice to meet you!

    http://archnasharma.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete