Saturday, April 14, 2012

M is for Masculinity.

I am a woman, but for some reason whenever I sit down and write, I usually write in a male voice. Not always, but more often than I do a female one. I have no idea why that is. My Alpha reader is a twenty-three year old guy who works with troubled teen boys. He tells me my voice is authentic. I have no idea how that happens. I am not only a girl, I’m really a girl. You know, the kind that has tea parties, and knits and sews and likes to wear dresses almost all the time; that’s me, but that’s not what I write. I write dark. I write masculine.

Am I alone out there, or is there more of us?

6 comments:

  1. It's interesting you should say this, as my teenage daughter who is a brilliant writer, writes very dark masculine type stories. They are brilliant. I guess it's down to what you are comfortable with and I'm led to believe that a lot of more popular Romantic Novels are written by men with pen names. Great post.

    Good luck for the rest of the challenge. My blog for the challenge is at http://itsmotherwho.blogspot.co.uk/ pop by if you have a minute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got a great talent to be able to do that. I won't say I write masculine, but I don't write sweet or soft feminine either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think some people write certain ways. My daughter is also like this. All hers are masculine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always have at least one male viewpoint in my novels. It's fun to work out how they see the world.


    http://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a girlie girl at all, but I also often write in a male voice. Not necessarily planned. I discovered that all but one of the short stories I wrote over a year had a male POV. My cozies are a first person woman. Just seemed to fit. I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge Blogs this month. My alphabet is at myqualityday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. our writer's voice is sometimes different from our real voice--we should always use whatever voice works for us.

    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com
    Happy A-Zing!

    ReplyDelete