Monday, April 16, 2012

N is for Narcissistic Society.

Have you ever read something that truly horrified you?
I did last year, and it wasn’t fiction.
As I’ve mentioned before I’m a psychiatric nurse. Part of my job is to review criteria for certain diagnosis with our psychiatrist during our treatment meetings. We refer to a book that is published annually; DSM.  It is organized by a list of diagnosis and behaviors a patient must exhibit to be given that diagnosis.   
Last year DSM took Narcissist out of their list of diagnosis. Their reasoning? Too many people exhibited the traits to have it be a diagnosis anymore. In essence they were saying we live in a Narcissistic society and that those types of behaviors are the new norm.
How scary is that?



5 comments:

  1. That is frightening. I don't like that as the new norm. It would scare me even more if selflessness and modesty become traits in the DSM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary, but I can see how it's kinda true. Still...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a little disturbing. But, I do seem more and more people exhibiting that trait. That still doesn't make it a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Extreme narcissism is a bit different than "exhibiting traits", but the DSM changes often. Our desire to classify things is a bit odd in and of itself. The DSM is a great example of that. They put things in there based on whether or not they are part of the "norm" in society, so it doesn't surprise me that they removed narcissism, but what does surprise me is that they continue to corner people into boxes of "norm" in the first place. Ah, tis the way of people... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard that too but I didn't know if it was valid or just an internet rumor people perpetuate. If true, I believe it. Just watch American Idol and see the people who get furious at not making to Hollywood!

    ReplyDelete