Friday, May 31, 2013

Three Things on Friday


Today I’m doing three things at once (I’m a mom, this is perfectly doable).
 

First, I’m celebrating the small things of the last week.

1.      We wrapped up homeschooling for the year, and my daughter got an excellent report on her standardized tests.

2.      I got my garden all in, which for me maybe isn’t such a small thing.

3.      My hubby and I took a date night. Any time alone with him is a very good thing.

4.      Finally made some decisions on the third book cover. Can’t wait to see it.

5.      An old friend, I mean I haven’t seen her since I was thirteen kind of friend, found me on Facebook. We had a great week catching up.

6.      My house is filled with tiny bouquets of flowers my six year old has picked for me. Lovely.

7.      All in all, had a great week writing. Started last round of edits on book #2 and rounding up revisions on #3.
       I hope all of you had a blessed week as well.
 


Second, I’m reviewing The Faerie Guardian by Rachel Morgan. I am doing a review of the next book of the Creepy Hollow Series next Saturday, so, of course, I had to read this one first.

The Faerie Guardian begins with Vi, a Faerie Guardian in training. She’s on one of her last missions before she can call herself a full-fledged Guardian and she’s not about to let anything mess that up. Until…

The until in this story starts early on. Vi is sent to protect Nate, an attractive boy, not that Vi notices, she’s no a mission. Okay, she notices a little. And it turns out that he can see her, too, which starts a series of events that solve some old mysteries, as well as create some new ones.

What I thought: This was a fast read with intriguing characters and enough intrigue that I couldn’t put it down. Well done, Rachel, I can’t wait to finish the second one.

The ebook version of this is available for 99 cents on amazon.com until 6/2.

You can find out more about this book and the just released The Faerie Prince at http://www.rachel-morgan.com/
 
 
Thirdly, while I was blog-hopping the other day, I came across a novelette I’m adding to my TBR pile that I thought I’d share with all of you.

A detective with a price on his head. An invisible criminal with nothing to lose...
 


 
The vault door never opened. The bank went into lockdown in less than a minute. Yet the security footage was unmistakable: a hundred silver bars had simply vanished.

Ever since the city’s most dangerous crime boss put a price on his head, private investigator Charlie Madison has lived as an exile in Little Tokyo. But now an old friend and police sergeant has lured Madison back into the city to hunt down an invisible criminal—if he can.

As Madison makes his clandestine return, high-profile people start disappearing. And when federal agents swoop onto the scene to take matters into their own hands, they offer Madison a deal he can't refuse—as long as he agrees to work with them. With Japanese freedom fighters and refurbished killing machines threatening to take the world to the brink of nuclear holocaust, the United World government needs all the help it can get.

Embroiled in an unimaginable mystery, one private eye must rely on his wits to solve a case where the evidence is immaterial, and the odds are stacked high against him at every turn.

You can find the ebook at:

http://musapublishing.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=596

Have a great weekend everyone!

14 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to reading Milo's book as well!
    Glad you're all done with homeschooling.
    And Rachel rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the positive reivew of The Faerie Guardian!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Facebook for that reason...when you can reconnect and catch up with old friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always worthwhile to take time to notice the little things that make life good :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've been busy! Thanks for the signal boost, Melanie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We finished school this week too - only we went back to homeschooling. We are downunder so we have another half a year to go.

    I joined the blogfest today
    Rhonda @Laugh-Quotes.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a lot of celebrations, date nights are always good and I love hearing from old friends.
    I've had The Faerie Guardian on my kindle for ages now, I really must get around to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are the third person I've come across in the hop, who went on a date night with the hubby.
    I love, love, love Rachel's artwork. Gorgeous covers.
    Immaterial Evidence sounds like a must-read... really intriguing stuff!
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's wonderful your childhood friend found you on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very sweet celebrations this week! Flowers from a child are the best kind!

    Brandy's Bustlings

    ReplyDelete
  11. Getting mini bouquets of flowers from our children is so sweet. And you've reminded me I've got to tackle the garden. We're a bit behind on that this year. Nice review and I ran into Milo's book on the bloghop too, it does look like a great read. And can't wait to see your cover for the third book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mini bouquets is lovely! And yay to date night.

    ReplyDelete
  13. sweet review!
    lots of fun celebrations! good luck with your cover!

    and i just met milo too, love his premise!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A home filled will small bouquets... makes me smile. Congratulations on your books!

    ReplyDelete