Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Getting Healthy




Today I’m participating in the Get Healthy Blogfest hosted by Michael Di Gesu, Stephen Tremp, Alex J. Cavanaugh, and L. Diane Wolf. Thank you for putting this on.

Now, I’m not naturally thin and that never became more apparent than last summer. I was in the depths of writing; you know how it goes. I was sitting. For hours.  And I was getting fat.

Now my husband and daughter were running together at the time.  There was a part of me that was happy for them and a part that was jealous I wasn’t with them. So I started. It did not go well. It turns out it’s not a very good idea to go from sitting for hours to trying to run a few miles. People get hurt, namely me.

But, thankfully, they have an app for that. It’s called Couch to 5K. I’m not kidding. But it turns out I wasn’t even couch level, I was more like bed to 5k, so I started by running from mailbox to mailbox in my neighborhood. I live in a town, so in essence I was running for like fifteen seconds, followed by walking for fifteen. It was a start. When I got stronger, I combined a few of them to make it running for forty-five, walking for fifteen. I was now ready to start the couch to 5k. But I knew I needed more than that. I needed a goal. Where I live there is an annual 5 mile race every Thanksgiving called the Turkey Trot. My husband and daughter were planning on running it, and so was I. But I was a long way from running 5 miles, so I hired a health coach, Ami Patrick, who taught me to eat well and kept me in line. She is wonderful. Her web site is http:///www.embodyhealthandwellness.com .

The question is did I do it?

Let’s just say our family has a new Thanksgiving tradition, and it doesn’t have anything to do with pumpkin pie.
The topic: Favorite Author Quote

"Good books don't give up all their secrets at once." - Steven King

24 comments:

  1. I've heard great successes with that program-- good for you! I jog 3 miles several days a week and while I can rarely say I love it, I do love getting outside, clearing my head and yes, getting my heartrate up for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard good things about that program. :) Glad it worked for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use the couch to 5k and love it. Yay for that fantastic new and healthy tradition for Thanksgiving ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen several people mention the couch to 5K program. Glad you were able to find some things that worked for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of this programme before. But good for you Mels! You've found something that works for you.
    Now when are you going to post about the Turkey Trot? And maybe some pics too?

    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny: I didn't take a single picture, not one. But I should have. You should have see it. I was probably the only one not in a costume. It was outrageous. :)

      Delete
  6. Turkey Trot! Now that's funny. Got you motivated though, didn't it?
    Thanks for participating in our bloghop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had just visited another blog where the Couch to 5K was mentioned. Sounds like an interesting program. CONGRATS on your new Thanksgiving tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I have to check out this app now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is about the fifth or sixth thing I've seen about Couch to 5K...I'll have to give it a look...thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It can't be said enough, don't overdo it, when you finally decide to get a little exercise. Slow and steady wins the race. Thanks for this wonderful blog post about getting and staying healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you! I need to check out that app. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you Melanie! Nice Tradition.

    I can't run anymore. I've always loved running. But I CAN walk and that's what I do now. I do make it a point to move around a lot during the day. I'm good for sitting maybe 2 hours and then I need a break--for mind and body. I do stretches frequently during the day. It helps a lot.

    Sia McKye OVER COFFEE

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! :) what a great goal to have every year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I prefer walking, but I've noticed a couple of people mention that app today, so might have to try it out :)
    Suzanne @ Suzannes Tribe

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's great! Over the years I was able to nudge my family to healthier holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now you can run together as a family!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am STILL LAUGHING over your "BED to 5K" comment. SO FUNNY. Congrats on making it to the turkey trot and keeping it up. YAY, YOU!!!!!

    One definitely needs a sense of humor. STEP ONE... I will remember that for the next HEALTH HOP... Honestly, though, it is all about your attitude and how you approach fitness and eating healthy. It certainly is a life choice. NO fad diet will ever work.

    Thanks for the laugh and posting for the HOP, Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  18. congrats!! Totally awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sometimes I hope to run. Then, I give up. lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's great you can do something like run with the hubby! Makes getting and staying healthy so much easier.

    And thanks for participating in the Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome. I'm so glad you met your goal and started a new Thanksgiving tradition! When I first started running I was at bed level too, lol, and started by running only 5 minutes a day. Little by little I added a few minutes here and there. Now I can run a 15k without needing medical assistance. (: It's all about perseverance and being smart about how to achieve your goals without injury.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's a lot of fun to get healthy with the whole family. Rick and I ran a Frosty 5K on New Year's Day which I think will become our annual tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this...and making it doable!
    My kids have done this in the evening. Walk to this pole,run to that mail box...it makes it a game~

    Thanks a great post..
    I need to do this again!

    ReplyDelete