Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Getting Healthy




Today I’m participating in the Get Healthy Blogfest hosted by Michael Di Gesu, Stephen Tremp, Alex J. Cavanaugh, and L. Diane Wolf. Thank you for putting this on.

Now, I’m not naturally thin and that never became more apparent than last summer. I was in the depths of writing; you know how it goes. I was sitting. For hours.  And I was getting fat.

Now my husband and daughter were running together at the time.  There was a part of me that was happy for them and a part that was jealous I wasn’t with them. So I started. It did not go well. It turns out it’s not a very good idea to go from sitting for hours to trying to run a few miles. People get hurt, namely me.

But, thankfully, they have an app for that. It’s called Couch to 5K. I’m not kidding. But it turns out I wasn’t even couch level, I was more like bed to 5k, so I started by running from mailbox to mailbox in my neighborhood. I live in a town, so in essence I was running for like fifteen seconds, followed by walking for fifteen. It was a start. When I got stronger, I combined a few of them to make it running for forty-five, walking for fifteen. I was now ready to start the couch to 5k. But I knew I needed more than that. I needed a goal. Where I live there is an annual 5 mile race every Thanksgiving called the Turkey Trot. My husband and daughter were planning on running it, and so was I. But I was a long way from running 5 miles, so I hired a health coach, Ami Patrick, who taught me to eat well and kept me in line. She is wonderful. Her web site is http:///www.embodyhealthandwellness.com .

The question is did I do it?

Let’s just say our family has a new Thanksgiving tradition, and it doesn’t have anything to do with pumpkin pie.
The topic: Favorite Author Quote

"Good books don't give up all their secrets at once." - Steven King