Monday, May 6, 2013

Leaves


Good morning. I hope all of you had a relaxing weekend. This is a Monday, so as promised; this week will start with a super short story.
Take care -mel



Leaves

 
My thumb grazes along the edge of a saw-tooth leaf, as I try to decide if it’s something I can eat without killing myself. I can’t remember; it’s been years.

A twig snaps behind me.

I freeze.

A cat, big one, saunters past.  It moves along the ground, like me; only I doubt he realizes he’s being hunted. I lean back on my heals as it makes its way towards my snare.

Closer, closer, I whisper, feeling the saliva fill my mouth. It has been a long time since I’ve had meat.

There is another snap followed by a shudder as the snare takes hold and he tries to wrestle himself free.

I drop the leaf and make my way to his side. He’s caught by his left forepaw. His other takes a swipe at me.

It isn’t his wild eyes that I see, although it should be. It’s his right paw, and the scar that’s there. I lift my own right hand, or what’s left of it. It took me five years to whittle enough away to be able to slip through their snare.

I meet the cat’s eyes. He would do that as well; he would do whatever it took to be free.

With my maimed hand I reach around and release his paw.  He takes off without looking back.

May your road be easier than mine, I whisper.

I glance around me. “Leaves it is.”


Check out these reviews of The Newstead Project:

May 6th
Reading Away the Days – Interview Guest Post or Tens List
Laurie’s Thoughts and Reviews – Review
Sher A Hart: Writing Art – Review
From the Bootheel Cotton Patch -Spotlight

 

14 comments:

  1. Great story. I'm so glad she didn't eat the cat. And wow, so much creepy stuff implied there. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great start to a dystopian novel. I'd read more!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was nice of her to let him go! (Or him.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Predators have all the fun. Nice of the prey to wish a positive life upon the cat before choosing leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great story. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh hooray! The generous heart wins out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad she didn't eat the cat too. Imagine the hairballs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice! I enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy every snippet/flash fiction you have posted. You have talent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. crazy cat! melanie, this was quite good!! glad to meet and follow you, hi!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my... another brilliant short. Love it.

    ReplyDelete