Friday, May 17, 2013


 
 
 
Today I’m going to sound like a mess of contradictions, because I picked my best and worst Hollywood Remixes for the same reason.

For the Best I chose the 2001 version of “Oceans Eleven”. I loved this movie and didn’t know until much later that it was a remake. The plot was all about strategy and scheming and skill; the bad guys are really the good guys and the real bad guys get it in the end. Probably the part I liked most was that no one backstabbed each other. They all worked together at as a team; I won’t say more than that in case you haven’t seen it yet, but if you haven’t I suggest you run out and get it. Now. All that being said, it turns out the new version is actually quite close to the original 1960’s version. I have not seen that one, so I can't vouch for that myself. Actually that’s probably why I haven’t seen the first; I don’t want to have that wonderful movie moment ruined for me.

Which leads me to the Worst Remake…

“Psycho”, the 1998 version. It’s not bad, but it’s not good, either. That may have been because, unlike Oceans Eleven, I already saw the 1960 original, which meant the new version had something to prove right off the bat. It felt exactly the same to me, no new twists or changes that indicates the directors/producers have any artistic insight. But, then again, how can you improve on the original? My advice? Don’t try. (Yes, I’m looking at you Disney, as you plan to remake Star Wars.)

For the sake of avoiding lengthy posts, I’ve moved my Friday review of To Love or Die in a Steamy-Reamy World by Emily White to Monday. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! I can’t wait to visit all of you and see what you picked for best and worst.

24 comments:

  1. Great choices! I also picked Oceans 11 as one of my best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't like the Psycho remake either. The original scared the 'you know what' out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The classic Psycho was so ground breaking and scary- I highly doubt they will ever be able to top it. Good choices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think trying to do a remake of STarWars is just plain craziness. We agree on Ocean's Eleven. I didn't see Psycho.
    Thanks for participating in the blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ocean's 11 almost made my top spot. Excellent film.
    I thought the Psycho remake was bad.
    Thanks for participating in our blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm actually surprised Psycho hasn't appeared on more lists. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked Ocean's 11. I've never seen Psycho. I suppose if you knew you could take a great movie and make it better, perhaps. But at some point let's try new and inventive, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like Ocean's 11, and I haven't seen the Psycho remake, and don't want to. I'm not a big horror fan, but the original Psycho scared the crud out of me - not sure how they could improve on the total creepiness there.
    Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both of those were on my lists...same as yours. What great taste you have! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't seen the Psycho remake, but it would be tough to compete with the original. And I loved Ocean's Eleven. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I forgot I saw both Psychos. It wasn't best or worst either way for me, probably because it was exactly the same like you said. lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. NEver watched Psycho--both the original and the remake, so I wouldn't know, but I"ll take your word for it. I loved Ocean's Eleven!

    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVED the Ocean's Eleven remake. Agree with you on Psycho...the remake was simply unnecessary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought the Disney STAR WARS would be sequels -- a remake would indeed be madness. Hasn't stopped Hollywood before, though...

    ReplyDelete
  15. No argument here. I picked Ocean's 11 for my best, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved the original Psycho so much, I'd not even try to see the remake. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The worst part of Psycho was that it was an exact recreation of the original. Good as an art house film, but not as a major motion picture.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oceans was a good pick. The original Psycho freaked me out, I couldn't watch the remake.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I only saw the best of your choices - the new Oceans 11 and the original Psycho - loved them both.

    Rhonda @Laugh-Quotes.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think I saw the original Psycho... but that would have been ages ago... obviously LOL

    ReplyDelete
  21. I heard that the Psycho remake was essentially an exact copy exact that it was in color. I saw no point in watching it. The black and white was partly what made it so creepy.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Melanie! I nominated you for The Very Inspiring Blogger award! http://bev-thebevelededge.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-very-inspiring-blogger-award.html#links
    I hope you'll accept it and spread the love!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I could have chosen a lot of movies that were remakes but didn't because I hadn't seen the originals :) As it was I only had 3 options to choose from! haha

    I remember enjoying Ocean's 11, but haven't seen it in a long time. I did see the Psycho remake and found it creepy, but still haven't seen the original - though I do have it on DVD now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I loved the 2001 Oceans 11- I hadn't been aware that this was a remake. The movie was very well-cast.

    ReplyDelete