Friday, May 17, 2013


 
 
 
Today I’m going to sound like a mess of contradictions, because I picked my best and worst Hollywood Remixes for the same reason.

For the Best I chose the 2001 version of “Oceans Eleven”. I loved this movie and didn’t know until much later that it was a remake. The plot was all about strategy and scheming and skill; the bad guys are really the good guys and the real bad guys get it in the end. Probably the part I liked most was that no one backstabbed each other. They all worked together at as a team; I won’t say more than that in case you haven’t seen it yet, but if you haven’t I suggest you run out and get it. Now. All that being said, it turns out the new version is actually quite close to the original 1960’s version. I have not seen that one, so I can't vouch for that myself. Actually that’s probably why I haven’t seen the first; I don’t want to have that wonderful movie moment ruined for me.

Which leads me to the Worst Remake…

“Psycho”, the 1998 version. It’s not bad, but it’s not good, either. That may have been because, unlike Oceans Eleven, I already saw the 1960 original, which meant the new version had something to prove right off the bat. It felt exactly the same to me, no new twists or changes that indicates the directors/producers have any artistic insight. But, then again, how can you improve on the original? My advice? Don’t try. (Yes, I’m looking at you Disney, as you plan to remake Star Wars.)

For the sake of avoiding lengthy posts, I’ve moved my Friday review of To Love or Die in a Steamy-Reamy World by Emily White to Monday. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! I can’t wait to visit all of you and see what you picked for best and worst.