Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Questions and Awkwardness


What kind of questions do people ask when they find out you’re a writer? The first is obvious; what’s your story about? Hopefully most of us have an answer to that one, although I must admit, I still have trouble with the fly-by pitch. After that initial question, others follow, and what you get depends mainly on the person. This includes everything from the where did you get your idea questions to the who should play your characters in a movie.

For some of us, the answers roll off our tongue like a perfectly written script; honest, brief, but yet intriguing enough to entice people to read the book for themselves. For others (me) this is harder. I just had a story to tell.  I wrote it. It’s been published. Not very appealing or original, I know. That’s just who I am. That’s my comfort level. My secret hope is that people will read my book, love it, tell others about it, and the chain goes on. I won’t have to do any public speaking, no matter how small the group, and still my book will get read.

I hear all your snickers. I know, I know. I better just get over myself and realize it’s a mixed bag. You can’t have one without the other.