Monday, May 13, 2013

No More


Good morning everyone. I hope everyone had a wonderful mother’s day weekend. On that light note, here is my Monday short: No More.

 
The razor slid across my wrist and I close my eyes and wait.

There is nothing; not pain, not screams. Soon I will be nothing, too. The nothingness my life has become will be an actuality. No more never quite getting it or people never quite getting me. No more worrying, and no more fear. No more.

I sigh. No more Joe, either. This will be hard on him. He looks up to me in a lot of ways, for what I have no idea, but I kind of like that he does. No more walks through the park on my way to school, no more taking black and whites on my grandfather’s old Pentax. No more greasy cheeseburgers from Gibbers. No more chances, no more hopes that something will get better.

I open my eyes and look at the blood streaming down my hand. Quickly I press my other hand over it to stop the flow. No more.  

 

 

16 comments:

  1. I agree. Powerful.
    Oh and I nominated you for the 'sunshine award' which seems kind of ironic going with ur post. ;p
    Details are on my blog.
    Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Powerful and glad she decided not to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good play on the title. It certainly catches your attention. :-)

    Sia McKye OVER COFFEE

    ReplyDelete
  4. No more lack of will! I took optimism from the close.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very powerful short. I'm a big fan of your endings. Your beginnings too, I just mean you have a great way of ending on a definitive note leaving the reader wanting to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is really powerful. We had a foster daughter who liked to cut herself and I always worried she would take it too far. (Happy to report she is alive, well, and raising her own family now.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really got a lot across in such a short story. That's impressive. The twist to the ending was wonderful. All of it was very powerful and evocative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Painful post! I love the turnaround.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not much to add but great story as always.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kind of a lesson about what keeps us going when we're really down. We all need to be needed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a powerful piece. I'm glad she realized the good things too that she'll have no more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Powerful and painful... and a sense of hope at the end...?
    Another great piece, Melanie!

    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your short pieces are always excellent - always with unexpected endings!

    ReplyDelete