Thursday, August 1, 2013

Imagination Sparks





Today I’m participating in a bloghop hosted by Charmaine Clancy over at http://clancytales.blogspot.com/

Basically you’re supposed to post today about what gets your creative writing juices going and then visit others on the bloghop list to check out what theirs are and give them a try.

I’m not going to write about playlists, or quiet places, or comfy chairs or any of that. Today I’m going to write about the single most important tool I have in my writer’s arsenal: The list.

What is The List you may ask? Simple. It’s just what it sounds like; a list of questions and answers. And each one of my main characters gets one. It’s how I get to know them a little better. Does Rachel reach for Cheerios or Oreos for breakfast? What does she do when she’s angry, or sad? What was her childhood like? Who were her friends then? And now? What perfume does she wear? What music does she listen to? And on and on it goes. This takes some time, the discovery of a person, but I promise it’s worth it. That way, when you finally sit down to write the story, it comes naturally, because of course your character would do or say that- that’s who they are.   

Now, I’m off to know each one of you a little better.

Don't forget about my blogfest for 9/3/13! Click on the button below for more details.






14 comments:

  1. Good idea with that list. I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Alex- that's a great idea. I might have to give that a go next time I'm creating a new character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of a list, especially the part about what your characters eat for breakfast. It could tell you whether the person is addicted to junk food or health food, which could lead to more details about what they do during the day (watch TV or work out, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a running list too! It's a mess of scribbles by the end of my revisions, but I don't know what I'd do without it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here from the Imagination Sparks Blogfest. I love your list and I'm going to use it for the novel I'm currently writing. Thanks so much for the great tip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow what a great idea. Enjoy your blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome. I was reading in one of my "industry" books about defining a character's living space to help know them--the pictures on their wall, the things on their computer desk, their color scheme, etc. There's little as fun as getting to know new characters. (Guess that's why I read so much.) ;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. My lists are barely legible. So now I use Scrivener to keep all my stuff neat and tidy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having a list sounds like a great alternative to doing character interviews or bio sheets, quick and to the point. I'm going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe I'm weird, but I usually don't have trouble defining characters. Plotting is where I need to ask questions and make lists.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always good to know your characters better, good advice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a great idea. I might have to try making a list to see if it would help. Thanks for the idea

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thats a good idea. I do something similar with character profiles; its narrative, not a list, but has all the basic info on each MC such as birth dates, relationships, life events, favorites, and of course goals and motivations. Your lists sounds similar.

    .......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  14. I so love this! I've heard variations of this idea but not so detailed. Most definitely I will try it.

    (sorry so late posting to this blogfest. I *knew* was forgetting something this past weekend)

    ReplyDelete