Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Insecure Writer's Group and The Faerie War



Today what I’m most insecure about are inconsistencies. I’m working on my third book in the Newstead Trilogy, and it seems like every time I go over it I’m finding a new plot hole that needs to be fixed, or something that isn’t quite right. Being the last book, every detail has to match up and I’m feeling overwhelmed by the enormity of that task. That’s part of the difficulty with the way I’m writing this trilogy; everything is interrelated so I have to be so careful to make sure what happens in the first book flows into the second and then the third, and it’s not just with a few details, but with everything. I guess I’m just feeling the pressure of it all and because I love this book so much I want to get it just right. I want the reader to feel that moment when it all comes together. And right now it’s just not there. But it’s not due in my editor’s hands for another five months, so I guess time is on my side.

On another note, please help me celebrate with Rachel Morgan on the release of the third book in her Creepy Hollow series. Way to go Rachel!
 



The fate of the faerie world is in her hands...

Title: The Faerie War
Series: Creepy Hollow, Book Three
Author: Rachel Morgan
Cover Designer: Morgan Media
Publication Date: Oct 2013




20 comments:

  1. Rachel's cover is awesome!
    I know the pressure of the third book. Just tackle the issues one at a time. You'll make it all come together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Consistency is already difficult with only one novel; I can only imagine what it must be like with a series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for helping me reveal the new cover!
    I completely understand third book insecurities. I'm also trying to make sure all my plot details match up. I keep going back to the first and second book to check details!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw that book on another website and commented on the lovely cover. I love it! And I know how you feel on inconsistencies, but it's nice to know that someone else feels that way sometimes. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you made a timeline? I did that for my 5-book series and it really helped with inconsistencies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't but that might be just what I need- thanks.

      Delete
  6. Good for you for trying to plug every hole. I HATE when I get to the end and realize things were left undone. It's like the author just got tired!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your passion for your story will help you to get it right. It just takes time. A writer's greatest curse and blessing all at once ;)

    Congrats to Rachel and her fabulous cover.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, yes. Staying true to one's canon. That can give a writer fits.
    Glad you have some time to sort it out.

    Great post! :)
    August co-host and IWSG #110

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, trilogies are hard because you have to weave so much in and stay consistent in the story. But it sounds like you're being really careful to get it right. Just hang in there. You can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have enough teouble keeping a timeline and consistent plot points straight in a single book. I don't know how I would do it over a series. I'm a fantastically disorganized writer. I guess if you haven't already done so, an outline of all the major plot points from the previous novels would help.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't got to this stage yet, but I imagine it's very hard! I struggle with inconsistencies in short stories, never mind a series of novels. Good luck getting it all sorted :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rachel's covers are beautiful. :)
    Good luck with book 3, I'm sure you'll make it work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one of my biggest fears, even just with tiny details, because no matter how good your book is, there's always that one dork ready to raise his hand at a convention and say, "I noticed that on page 247 the character was wearing a gold watch on her left hand, but on 271 it says it's silver and on her right hand. How do you explain that?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! That's exactly what I'm talking about.

      Delete
  14. The way I see it, you already have two books -done-....that's two more than a lot of us, lol :)

    You'll do fine on the third, I'm sure....best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. No doubt you'll get her done. I'm in awe of people who write trilogies. Me, I've got ideas for series, with each book as a stand alone. Like Terry Pratchett.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Writing just takes time. The cover looks really amazing!

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey,

    Sounds like you are at least on the right road to neatly finishing... I'm only beginning a trilogy (I think!) of my own, so I can't *imagine* the things that must come together... but GOOD LUCK !!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I keep finding inconsistencies in my novel almost ready for the editor. Luckily my beta readers are better at keeping tabs than I am!

    Those covers of Rachel Morgan's books look great.

    ReplyDelete