Monday, August 19, 2013

Feeling Checks


This weekend I finished my revisions on my third book (yey!!!). Now I only have one step left-which is something I wanted to share with you.  When I finish a book, I go through it one last time, kind of like a copy editor would. Only instead of scanning for grammar issues and typos, I’m doing a feeling check. I’m reading each scene and asking myself how I feel- is it what I was going for- is there tension where I wanted it- is there sadness, joy, love, heartbreak? As soon as that feeling stops within me, I go back and see why. Was I reverting to telling not showing? Did I gloss over something? Was I true to the character? In essence, I’m looking for what it was that pulled me out of the emotion. Most of these should have been corrected during the revision process, just like most of the grammar problems, but I don’t think any of us doubt the value of a copyeditor for one last go-over.

Do you do feeling checks?