Friday, August 23, 2013

Celebrate Friday


 
Hello Everyone, It’s time again for my weekly Celebrate the Small Things and Express Yourself.

This week has been kind of crazy. I finished my book tour on Sunday, and then the rest of this week has been spent working on my mother’s surprise sixtieth birthday party that we’re having at our house tomorrow. Or at least it used to be a surprise. My super-sweet six-year old nephew was in the car with my mom last week and this was how the conversation went:

“Mema?”

“Yes, Gabriel?”

“I’m not supposed to tell you something.”

“Okay, then don’t.”

“I’m not supposed to tell you about the party at Aunt Melanie’s house next Saturday for your birthday.”

Oops.


The hilarious thing is? He still swears he didn’t tell her. Kids are too funny. But as it turns out, my mom would’ve hated having it be a surprise, and now can sit back and look forward to the party. I guess things work out for the best in the end.

So that’s the small thing I’m celebrating this week-the surprise that wasn’t.
 

 
 
 

The Express Yourself question for the week is what is your favorite comfort book/movie? For me it tends to be anything I enjoyed when I was a child: Laura Ingalls, Anne of Green Gables, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach, the Ramona books, The Indian in the Cupboard. I love re-reading these books- and I often do, whenever I need to sit back and just enjoy a good book.

What is your favorite comfort movie/book?

17 comments:

  1. Kids can't keep secrets. Sounds like your mother will enjoy it though.
    I don't reread books, but I do watch movies over and over. The Princess Bride wins for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a man thing. My husband loves that movie.

      Delete
  2. LOL! Oh well, bet your mother enjoys it even more now that the party isn't a surprise.

    I love animated films and turn to them for comfort. I can watch Over the Hedge and Madagascar III over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids are so funny. Mind can't keep secrets either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so adorable. Out of the mouth of babes. ;)

    I love Laura Ingalls and discovered Ann of Green Gables on PBS one weekend when I was laid up with a bum knee and commanded to move as little as possible. They had a marathon of Ann of Green Gables so it was easy to comply.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHAHA! I love that. My girls can't lie with a straight face, especially my oldest. I can't even imagine them keeping a secret from G-ma either.

    Congrats on finishing your draft and enjoy that party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Harry Potter all the way :)
    It sounds like things worked out for the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, too funny! Kids are just too adorable ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL - I celebrated a teen comment this week too. As for books and movies, I also like those from my childhood. Glad I stopped by this week as we have much in common - from the little I got to see. I am a new follower.

    Rhonda@laugh-quotes
    (I am visiting from the blog hop.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Rhonda, glad to meet you. Will be stopping by soon.

      Delete
  9. I have read every single one of those books, and they were all my comfort reads too. That means we're tied for life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha! Kids are so funny, but looks like it worked out. I love your list of books - some of my favorites too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an adorable story. I just love kid-logic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, that's so cute! Kids are so funny. We got my husband a Wii gun for Christmas a few years ago and my son told him right away. "Daddy, we got you a white gun!" My daughter kept trying to say, "no we didn't! Shh!" But my son just kept saying, "Yes we did! We got him a white gun!"
    I love rereading childhood favorites, too. :) The Ordinary Princess is one of my all time favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sure she'll like that story better than she would have liked being surprised. It's a better birthday present for her. I like that question for your meme today. Brings back memories. :) I didn't read any of those books when I was younger. Loved Judy Blume, plus books more for adults that I shouldn't have been reading.

    (requesting FB likes) Nancy’s Facebook page

    ReplyDelete
  14. How funny that he told her, and good that it worked out okay ;) Hope the party was a success ;)

    ReplyDelete