Friday, April 1, 2011

A Short Pause for A to Z blog fest- A is for Amiable

Hello, I will be taking a short pause from my regular format to participate in the A to Z blog fest. I will continue to post my short story snippits (a good preview for S day) weekly. But for the month of April I will be posting alphabetically. Starting with today, the letter A

A- is for Amiable. Ok, so I am reading PRIDE AND PREDJUDUCE for the hundreth time (seriously) and I decided to count exactly how many times the word amiable was used. So far I am up to 37 and Mr. Darcy has just been spurned. Do people even use that word anymore? Try using it in conversation today and see the looks you get. It just gets me thinking. How many other beautiful words have we lost over time?

4 comments:

  1. LOL... an editor today would probably email Ms. Austin and say, "Rework some of these adjectives. Used amiable too much - already counted 37 of them. See highlighted copy attached..."
    Good luck with A to Z! Should be an interesting month;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So right. It's a beautiful word. Using it would definitely bring you some raised eyebrows.

    GigglesandGuns

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm one of those weird vocabulary people that do still use the word "amiable." It's a good one.

    And I love Pride and Prejudice. My book club this month is reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Not sure how I feel about that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think people do use that word now - I can't remember the last time I heard it before today!

    Ellie Garratt

    ReplyDelete