Thursday, April 21, 2011

R is for Real

R is for Real
So many people like to look like they have it all together. I know I am one of them. But the universal truth is we don’t, none of us do. And the sooner we are honest with ourselves and others the sooner we can have real relationships.
How many times have you asked yourself, while talking with someone: If you really knew me, knew what I was thinking and everything I have done, you wouldn’t like me at all? If you only really knew me.
It is hard to be real. It makes us vulnerable.
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t spew out my realness to just anyone. I’ve made that mistake before. Some people aren’t real worthy.
But when you find it, you’ll know. Someone you can be real with.
And then I hope you can say: See, they know me, and they’re still here.

3 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading this. Some of us always wonder if people would like us if they really knew us. You have to work at disregarding vulnerability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting thoughts. I don't go out of my way not to be real but I also don't reveal the "real" parts of me on a regular basis. Maybe that's why I'm a writer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. fantastic post. i couldn't agree more with everything you've said. i, too, have made the mistake of being too real with people who weren't ready for it or weren't accepting it but when you find the ones you can be real with, it's like a gift.

    ReplyDelete