Thursday, April 7, 2011

F is for Faults and Failures

I am currently writing the second novel in the Newstead Project Trilogy. One of my MCs is doing something very unexpected. She slips up big time, and I mean big. No matter how many times I tried to talk her out of it, she just kept going in the same direction. And then I went back and read that particular part of the book and it is hands down my favorite.
It is real.
Because you and I have faults and failures, so should our characters. Who can relate to someone perfect? I know I can’t. And above all that is what our characters must be, relatable. (mm… do I hear an idea for R coming on?)

2 comments:

  1. Hiya! I did failure too, only it was about one of my own.

    I agree, no one is perfect, and I wouldn't know what to do if in the presence of someone who was. Ironically, I think being perfect would be a fault in and of itself.


    Matt Conlon dot com
    Matt's Brew Log

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only relate to perfect characters, and won't read any book without them. ;) :P

    Great post, Melanie!

    ReplyDelete