Wednesday, April 1, 2015

A to Z Opening Day and IWSG

First Wednesday of the Month
 
 
Today is April 1st, which means three things:
1.      I have to watch my back all day—the kiddos are sure to have something planned.
2.      It’s the first day of A to Z, so I get to visit a bunch of blogs and see the amazingly creative things all of you have come up with, and (hopefully) have something amazingly creative things of my own.
3.      It’s also the first Wednesday of the month, which makes it IWSG time. If you’re wondering what I’m insecure about today, refer back to items #1 and 2.
 
Come Visit in April
 
 

For A to Z  I will be posting flash fiction, all random, all the crazy musings of a crazy mind. Hope you like them.

 
A is for Apples
 
How many today? the woman asked, arms crossed, toes tapping. Four, I told her. And what about under, did you check there, too? I looked at the ground and nodded. Her toe stopped. Tell me the truth, ain’t none of this no good unless I know the truth, she continued, like she’d been there, like she saw me in that orchard. Probably did; witch that she was. Tell me, she said, toes tapping again. Can’t know the truth if I don’t have them all. There were three more, I said, but I ate them. Heat rolled off the woman. Has this happened before? she asked. Her voice was as dark as death. I slowly nodded. The woman gripped my arm, tight. Remember that day when you stood so tall and said I couldn’t possibly know your days end, any more than I could know how many apples were in that there seed of yours? I nodded, I remembered. Well, you were only half-right.

-Mel
 

18 comments:

  1. Oh, that's tense!
    Watch your back today...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, the woman is not pleased. Don't mess with her apples. Nice story, Melanie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That reminded me of a story in Sideways Stories From Wayside School where the mean teacher would turn the students into apples. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope my kids are old enough not to do the April Fool's jokes on mom. I really want to know what the apples are telling that nasty woman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely story, Melanie. Great way to kick off the A to Z! I look forward to your posts. You're an amazing writer :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you are getting through the day prank free so far! Great piece of writing.
    Sending you all the best for the A-Z challenge.

    Suzanne (IWSG co-host)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your point #1! And a nice bit of a story for us. Off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My baby girl is only 6 months, so I'm not on guard with her. My husband on the other hand...

    Great start to the challenge, can't wait to see more!

    Mary @ WilloughbyEditing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, very sinister. She probably is a witch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You caught me with just a few words. excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very sinister. Which half was right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ruh Roh... Sounds like someone's in a bit of trouble. lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Day one of A to Z, IWSG, AND April Fools...it's like the perfect storm!

    Good luck with the 2015 A to Z Challenge!
    A to Z Co-Host S. L. Hennessy
    http://pensuasion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh fun! I'd totally want to keep reading that story :)

    Happy A day!
    ~AJ Lauer
    an A-Z Cohost
    @ayjaylauer on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm always insecure at the beginning of the Challenge as well because there's so much to do and once I get my posts ready I barely know which way to turn with visiting blogs, commenting, responding to people who visit me. And It. Is. Every. Day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A voice as 'dark as death'...very descriptive writing. Good job giving Apple a whole new dimension as the first letter of the alphabet. Keep up the good writing...no insecurities for you!
    Sue at CollectInTexas Gal
    AtoZ 2015 Challenge
    Minion for AJ's wHooligans

    ReplyDelete