Thursday, April 9, 2015

A to Z: H is for Hope


For A to Z 2015 I will be posting flash fiction, all random, all the crazy musings of a crazy mind. Hope you like them.

 
H is for Hope
Winter had ended. Finally. There might still be snow on the ground, but no matter; the sky was blue, and not a winder blue. This morning it was a real blue. Summer blue.
The cows didn’t believe me when I told them; mother, neither. She just saw sky, same as we’d all seen for the past three years. She didn’t notice the difference.
She just handed me the same ol’ bucket, expecting me to do the same ol’ chores, like nothing had changed. And I went, thinking maybe it hadn’t.
There ice was just as thick in the trough, the sheep just as ornery. With a grumble almost as loud as theirs, I slid the barn door closed. That’s when I saw it: a tiny white flower pushed up through the snow.
 
-Mel