Wednesday, April 15, 2015

A to Z: M is for Marriage

For A to Z 2015 I will be posting flash fiction, all random, all the crazy musings of a crazy mind. Hope you like them.
M is for Marriage*


The man shifted his tie, loosening it, before finally pulling it over his head. It had been a long day, too long. His eyes went to the bathroom door, closed tight. And it’s not even close to being over.
The water from the shower cut off just a second before the door opened. His wife stood there, naked, but not for him. She went right to the closet, closing the door behind her, like she didn’t see him, like he wasn’t there.
He sat on the edge of the bed and waited.
The woman who came from the closet wasn’t naked anymore, but she still wasn’t for him. Although that time she acknowledged he was there. She came up to where he was on the bed and slipped the tie back over his head, tightening it, like a choker.
“There. That’s better.”

-Mel

 
*I’m happily married. I promise. To prove it, here is my post for M is for Marriage from A to Z 2013

 
M is for marriage
 
“Did you remember to get the mail?” I hope that credit card statement isn’t in there. That’s the last thing I need to see right now.
“Nothing today, dear.” Wish you’d stop worrying so. We always make do alright.
“And I don’t suppose you remembered to pick up the milk like I asked you to.” Even that’s more expensive than it should be. Why I remember when you could buy a gallon of milk for under a dollar. Now it’s four times that.
“It’s already in the fridge.” Look at those eyes; they haven’t changed a bit in all these years. So beautiful...
“And what are you smiling at?” Foolish old man, but he’s all mine.
“You.” That’s right. I’m yours.