Monday, September 30, 2013

Monday's Musings


Thought for the day: If someone has ever told you you’re crazy, you probably aren’t. Think about it. If someone were really, actually crazy- would you want to be the one to let them in on it?
We got home from Cincinnati late last night. My husband and I stayed there as our home base for our trip into Kentucky. And because we wanted to see Red’s last home game, which ended up being a disappointment. Not Kentucky, the Red’s game. I guess they lost their two prior games, so the one we went to ended up being meaningless, which meant they sent in their second string.  And it rained. A lot.

But Kentucky was good. We made a stop in Versailles, where a large part of my second and third books take place. It felt so amazing being there; like I’d walked into the middle of my story. I took lots and lots of pictures for visual cues. I tend to write better with a few pictures in front of me. And the unexpected surprise? We went to Churchill Downs (where they have the Kentucky Derby) and there were races going on, and I picked the winning horse. If I were only the betting type, I’d be a rich woman right now. Oh well-at least I had a mint julep, even if I couldn’t talk my husband into letting me where a big poufy hat.
Have any of you ever been to the places where your books take place? What other things do you do to prepare to write?

10 comments:

  1. Sorry the Reds game was a bummer, but cool you got to see a race. I'd have to go a long ways to see where my books take place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the stories I write take place in areas I have lived in so I know them well. I do have visuals, since I tend to take lots of pictures where ever I am. I have used visuals and music to set the mood but often as not, I write sans sound and think of the blessing of golden silence.

    Sia McKye Over Coffee

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're crazy and you know it, clap your hands? Never been to Kentucky, but I've watched Justified -- not sure if it's filmed there, though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My settings are not anything local. I wrote several short stories many years ago that took place here in St. Louis, however. I think people are going to be rooting for Pittsburgh over Cincy in the Wildcard game. The Pirates have been so bad for so long, I think fans want the underdog to win.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad you didn't bet on that horse.

    Most of my settings are places I've visited, including Greenville, SC, Atlanta, GA, and ABQ, NM.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's cool about getting to see the race. Sucks that the baseball didn't work out. =(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Someday we will visit Kentucky! My favorite hero was Daniel Boone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh-you have to go to Boone's Burrow then. It is a wonderful living history museum that's been recreated to look like Boone's fort.

      Delete
  8. If you were in Louisville you were just about 40 miles away from me. :( I've been here for seven years now and I still haven't been to the Derby, or even Churchill Downs.

    As far as settings, I like small towns. I grew up in a small town, and I often appropriate bits and pieces of the landscape for scenery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jen! I wish I would have known! I would've ditched the hubbie and we could have met for coffee or something-maybe next time. That's so funny about you not going to Churchhill Downs. I live 30 minutes from Niagara Falls and haven't been there in years- like going on 10.

      Delete