Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Insecure Writer's Support Group



Today is Insecure Writers Group time, which means, basically, I get to tell all of you what I’m feeling insecure about. Thank you so much to Alex Cavanaugh for starting this-two years ago today!

I’m at a strange place right now. I’m going over the final notes from my editor on Bashan (book #2 in the Newstead Trilogy) and I’m feeling good. I’ve realized something about myself and my writing over the past three years; I like how I write. I’m me. I haven’t bowed down to convention, ever. I listen to criticism, yes, but I glean what I need to, then move on. It took me a long time to do that. I’m not kidding. In the beginning, I let my grammar-ninja husband get his hands on my book and he changed it. It wasn’t mine anymore. Did you know that in Pride and Prejudice Jane Austin ended many of her sentences with prepositions? And she used the word amiable. A lot. I hate to think what an editor today would do with her work. Now I’m no Jane Austin. I’m me. And that’s just the way it should be.



What I’m reading: Kiss by Ted Decker and Erin Healy. I tend to like anything Dekker does-right up my alley-thought provoking thrillers. Thank you everyone for the advice last week on what to read next. My TBR pile is now sufficiently stocked.

What I’m writing: As mentioned in insecure, I’m (still) finishing combing through Bashan. It’s amazing that I’m still finding things.

What else I’ve been up to: Just enjoying the one week break I gave myself in-between the chaos of summer and school starting.

What’s inspiring me now: Yesterday was my three year anniversary being a writer. I might have been one before that; I always had stories running through my head, but September 3, 2010 was the first time I wrote any of them down. So this week, today, I’m reflecting on that. I’m inspired by that.


 

And finally, the winner of my Red, White, and Blue makes Purple Blogfest is…C. M. Brown. Yes, her name was drawn by my very sweet seven year-old just this morning. Congratulations C. M.! And thank you to everyone who participated.

18 comments:

  1. Congratulations to Carolyn!
    When you're happy with the way you write, you'll become a much better (and happier) writer. My style is my own and it's not the greatest, but it's the best way I know to write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is it with grammar ninja husbands? On the plus side, when writing an article or formal document, they come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to worry a lot about my style too. I also used try to copy the styles of writers that I admire. I got over that because it's an uncomfortable way to write, and you don't get anywhere doing that.

    And congrats to C M. I really enjoyed participating in your blogfest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best on finishing your next book. Yes, it took me time to learn where to stand my ground with my CP's and follow my instincts. I listen to my editor, though. But I lurves her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE it! It does take a while to get to the point where you discover your writing voice, but what an accomplishment. My voice is not something that appeals to some people, and that's okay. I'm not writing for them. (That one took a while to come to as well.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy three year anniversary of being a writer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed reading your posting today. I like what Crystal here has to say...discover your writing voice. It does have to be yours, and that is one area in which I debate with myself over....this has been helpful to me today very much so. Thank you!! Sandy of www.sandysanderellas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would never give my manuscript to my husband. He's way too critical in not a good way. Congrats on accomplishing so much in your 3 years as a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you Melanie! It;s hard to be an original lone voice! It's true... editors today kill our creative edge...
    Look at Harry Potter... Rowling used tons of adverbs, tags, and passive voice. Funny how all the publishers are looking for the next HP...

    That style will never get past an agent...

    Sorry I missed your blogfest.... sadly it could't m=be helped...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand-just glad to here you're feeling better.

      Delete
  10. If you're still falling in love and discovery with the work, then it's a blessed time. Revel and work well, Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate all of the writing rules that are out there these days - I like the way I write, and if I break some of those rules, then they'll have to stay broken.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Further proof that writing is completely subjective, and no matter what an agent or editor tells you, you can still pull off a great novel without following all of the "rules" to a T. It's always the books that break the rules that get the most attention.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So great you are working on final edits!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Double congrats are in order: on your progress with book 2 in the trilogy, and your 3 year writer anniversary.
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, I love a girl that does what she wants! Those stories can really work out well, especially because you still take feedback from people. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. First big congrats to CM! And I need to try and tap into some of that writing confidence you have. I love how you stay true to yourself and your writing style, no matter what. That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Melanie, for choosing me as the winner of the Blogfest (and thanks to your 3 year old, too). I enjoyed writing my entry, it was in a style I have not written in before, so I got a lot out of the experience. I hope your writing continues to progress on a positive path.

    My best wishes,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete