Friday, September 20, 2013

Small Things and Celebrating



The small thing I’m celebrating this week is letting go. I know last week I wrote how much I hate schedules, but they’re really necessary to get things done, and all that is true, but this week I learned something even more important. Sometimes schedules should be broken. Today I should do five pages of math with my seven year old, along with about a hundred other things, but I’m not. We’re going apple picking at a local orchard that has 350 different varieties of apples-can you imagine that? We’re riding in a wagon, eating fresh-made donuts, and having homemade apple cider, all with my mom and sis and her kids. Then we’re ending it all with a picnic in the woods.

Deciding to forgo the schedule for a day: A small, but wonderful thing.

 


Name a movie character’s personality who is you to a tee: Katniss Everdeen. I don’t love a lot of people, but those I do, I’m fiercely protective over.  And being outside feels almost like a heartbeat to me.

How about you? Any small things you’re celebrating? What movie character’s personality do you resemble?

14 comments:

  1. Can I go with you? That sounds like a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The apple picking sounds wonderful! Playing hooky from the to-do list is sometimes the most helpful thing in being more productive the day after. Nothing gets your energy up like happiness. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apple picking instead of maths, sounds like a good choice to me :)

    Rhonda @Laugh-Quotes
    Visiting from the celebrate blog hop

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that sounds so fun! Enjoy your day at the orchard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, that sounds much better than following your schedule. Sometimes we need a break :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You definitely made the right choice, it sounds like great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Melanie,

    I am celebrating the removal of my cast. i can type two handed again! YAY! I am also celebrating the fact that I am on the mend from my accident last month and feeling stronger each day.

    I LOVE apple picking! When I was a kid in NYC, my Dad drove us to the country in upstate NY every autumn to apple pick, get our pumpkin and spend a fun-filled day. I MISS those time. And WOW.... 350 different varieties of apples? AMAZING>>>

    Have a wonderful weekend with your family, Melanie....

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like a perfect reason to let go. Sometimes we need it. And it feels great!
    Movie character like me to a tee: Polly from Along Came Polly. It's uncanny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you had a great weekend! I'm celebrating a weekend with no committments or responsibilities - a rarity. I should be writing, but I spent most of the day reading and catching up on blogs. Character...hmmm...I think I'm Scout from To Kill A Mockingbird, all grown up but still a tomboy and still curious about people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Melanie,

    I actually came over for the Follow Fest, so I followed your links to all the things in which I participate.

    M.L. Swift, Writer

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm celebrating Follow Fest. *shifty eyes* Where's your post, woman? ;P

    ReplyDelete
  12. I should probably force a schedule onto myself. lol I'm so scatterbrained.

    ReplyDelete