Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Indie Life, What's Up, More than a Kiss



Today is my first Indie Life post, and today I'm posting about a wonderful program I discovered along the way:


Compulsion Reads is an Indie site for Indie authors by Indie authors. Basically, it's an endorsement system. And not everyone who submits gets endorsed-less than half do, actually. Which in essence is a good thing, because if your book does get their coveted gold seal, that means yours stands out.

What I'm reading: Treasure Island. Again. I can't help it, I loved it.
What I'm writing: I'm not really writing at the moment, too deep in formats for Bashan.
What's inspiring me right now: Autumn. I really love this time of year.
What else I've been up to: Basically enjoying my children and seeing my second book come together. Does it get any better than that?

 
Okay, so I found this blogfest yesterday, and I just had to join. Basically you have to post a kissing scene from one of your books. So here it is, from The Newstead Project:
 
He smiled down at me, a knowing smile, and lifted our hands to his soft, full lips as he gently kissed the back of each of my fingers before letting them fall back down between us.
We continued that way in blissful silence, until we reached the farmer’s trail at the end of Markham Lane. It was no more than a frozen dirt path that, after making a few turns along a creek, led to my trailer. I slowed and Joel stopped.
“Something wrong?” he asked.
He bent over until his face was only a couple inches above mine. I don’t think either one of us was prepared for what being that close would do to us.
My hand lifted to his face and lightly traced along his cheekbones, up to his forehead, before circling back down to his jaw. My fingers hesitated by his lips.   
His eyes burned bright as his head lowered. My breath held, waiting. But just when I would’ve sworn it was inevitable, his jaw tensed and he slowly shook his head. I don’t know if it was to him or to me. His lips touched softly on my forehead instead, a light brush that was over before it began.  


23 comments:

  1. We'll have to include Compulsion Reads in the IWSG site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Compulsion Reads sounds like a great option! I will have to look into that! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you tease. I'm headed over to check out Compulsion Reads. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, get little snippet! I want to read more. Nice job Melanie!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely build up of emotion and tension and then it was over!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay this makes me want to read The Newstead Project again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stevenson was a very talented author! So what draws you back to Treasure Island in particular so often?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahg! You sure know how to switch the tension levels don't you... I was ready for something hot and heavy, then a light brush across the forehead. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm gonna have to go check out Compulsion Reads. Sounds very cool. As for the kissing scene, yours is great. Mine... you won't find me posting those any time soon. Since I write comedies, mine are more in the vein of 'awkward' than 'steamy.'

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think kissing scenes are really hard to write well enough that I'm impressed, but I think that's because I've read far too many romance and I've seen just about every descriptor for a kiss that there is!

    I loved that final kiss at the end. Soft and sweet. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, tense - there's much more to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, unrequited love! Makes you want to know why he didn't want to get so close. Nice! Writer’s Mark

    ReplyDelete
  13. No kiss? Awwwwww. So, makes me wonder why the sudden change of mind...?
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  14. That Indie site sounds like the perfect venue!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh the anticipating of a kiss that didn't come! Nicely done. Thank you for participating in the blogfest. And thanks for letting us know about the Indie site. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. aw!! What a tease. Love it.
    I really need to read Treasure Island (um-ah)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The missed opportuity, how sad. Makes a body want it even more.

    .......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  18. A wonderful, almost kiss so full of anticipation. I wasn't expecting that ending which heightens the Need. :) Thank you for taking part in the blogfest, and for sharing this snippet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing about Compulsion Reads. I hadn't heard of it before :)

    ReplyDelete