Wednesday, October 2, 2013

IWSG


Today is Insecure Writer’s Support Group time, where we reflect on all our challenges of being a writer. Thanks to Alex Cavanaugh for putting this on each month! And now he and a team of ninjas have put together an Insecure Writer’s Support Group website with all kinds of links for quick and easy access to all those things that you didn’t know that you needed to know. Check it out here: http://www.insecurewriterssupportgroup.com/

 

My Insecurity

For those of you who have been following me, you know I’ve been in the deep pits of editing for some time. The Newstead Trilogy has actually been written for over a year now, and I’ve been editing. And editing. And editing. Well, I’m finally done (is it ever done, really?) And I find myself looking at a blank screen for the first time in over a year. Because, you see, I have broken my first rule of writing. I haven’t been working on two projects at once. I convinced myself that could wait, because I had these manuscripts that HAD to be edited. There was a deadline. And now the editing is done and I am afraid. What if I have forgotten how to write? What if the ideas don’t come?  

I know writing is 90% mental and I need to just get over myself and do it. Even if it sucks, I should write something. Thankfully NaNoWriMo is right around the corner, so I know if all else fails, that will be just the kick in the butt I need.

Is this a fear that plagues the rest of you? That you’ll wake up one day and this wonderful, lovely, mysterious gift of story will be gone?