Friday, October 11, 2013

Open Minds, Celebrate the Small Things, and Express Yourself


Happy Friday everyone. I hope this day finds you healthy and relatively happy. Today, I’m going to start with my review of Open Minds by Susan Kaye Quinn.

A little Intro: The year is around 2100 and everyone can read each other’s mind. It’s the new norm, and it’s a bad time to not be normal.

The book starts with Kira who still has to talk out loud to communicate, which makes her a social outcast, a zero.  All she wants is to fit in and be normal, but when she realizes she can control the minds of people around her, she knows her chance at a normal life is over. And like I said in the intro; it's a bad time to not be normal.  

My thoughts: This was an up and down back and forth rollercoaster ride, in a very good way. It had enough romance to keep me satisfied without being too much- if you know what I mean. The story itself was well written, intense, and entirely believable. I will definitely be reading the rest of the series.

 


The small thing I’m celebrating today is life in general. I spent some time this week sitting in a chair next to someone very dear to me whose death is imminent. Something like that can’t help but affect you, and for me, it made me hold my little ones close and tell them how much I love them, and call my mom, and kiss my husband extra-long. Life. God never promises us tomorrow, at least not here.

 


Express Yourself question for this week is: Share some book line openers that you adore.

How about an ending instead? The last line of the epilogue from Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

“But there are much worse games to play.”
Brilliant.