Friday, July 5, 2013

Review...Express...Celebrate


Hello everyone! Today, I’m doing a review of Milo James Fowler’s Immaterial Evidence.


This is one of those stories that’s hard to put down. First off, the writing is superb. It’s told with a forties style detective vs. mobster voice that I found very appealing. At first I thought that’s what this was, but as the story progressed, I quickly saw that I was wrong. This is futuristic, all the way, with enough paranormal elements to keep even the most extra-ordinary junkies among us fully satisfied. Five stars; ‘nough said

 

 
The topic for Express Yourself this week is how we Americans will be celebrating the fourth. As a nurse, unfortunately I was working midnights on the fourth, so that eliminated any firework shows right on the actual holiday. Thankfully for me, the next town over has a show on the third that I caught on the Wednesday night. Other than that, my plans don’t really have much to do with the actual holiday. My brother from Florida is coming into town, so I’ll get to spend time with him, which is always worth celebrating. Other than that, all I’m doing is having a girl’s day out with some friends. I know… completely boring and totally unworthy of a homeschooling mom who should be whooping up any excuse to teach about our country’s amazing beginnings, but that’s just what seems to happen when you throw working and no sleep in there. I promise I’ll do better for Christmas.

 

And… today I’m doing celebrating small things.

For me, it was probably going to the fireworks. I know to a lot of you that’s probably no big deal, but I haven’t been able to see a show in over six years; part of the hazards of being a nurse who tries to stay at home with her kids as much as possible, which translates into working way to many weekends and holidays. So it was a really cool treat that my neighboring town held them on the third.  

Have a great weekend everyone!

5 comments:

  1. Glad you had a great time seeing the fireworks! They're a treat for me, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Milo will be happy with that review.
    Glad you saw fireworks, even if it was a day early.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you saw some fireworks. Do have the craze for Chinese lanterns over there? There's much talk of them in the British press at the moment because one landed in a bin at a plastics recyclying plant and caused millions of pounds-worth of damage; and farmers hate them because they set fire to crops and scare or worse, injure, livestock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you got to see fireworks!

    Great review and the book sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I missed the fireworks a lot when I worked pediatrics, so I was always excited like you to be able to watch them. Great review on the book'

    ReplyDelete