Monday, July 15, 2013

Advice Anyone?


Hello everyone; my weekend was the same as a lot of yours, I’d imagine; hot and hectic. It’s funny, I work out of the home less than I ever have in my life and yet I’m busier than ever. Ironic.

Work on the third book of my trilogy is going slow, but at least it’s going. I don’t know how all of you write, but for me it’s a tedious process of going over the story again and again, each time adding maybe a new scene, or a different mood. Several months and even more revisions later, I have my story. Sometimes it gets frustrating how long it takes, but as long as I see that the story is improving I keep at it.

On another note, I’m thinking about having a blogfest. I’ve never had one before, so I could really use some advice. It’s really just at the beginning stages right now, but I was thinking about making it a short story contest with prizes and then compiling all the stories into one ebook anthology that I would sell on amazon with all the profits going to Operation Purple*. Okay, so maybe I’ve been thinking it over for a while, but I have no idea how to get this thing off the ground.

 How was everyone else’s weekend? Any advice for this newbie in regards to a blogfest?

 

*Operation Purple is a free summer camp experience for children of veterans.

14 comments:

  1. Great idea!
    Shoot me an email and I'll send you everything I know about blogfests. (Otherwise my comment here will be longer than your post.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love short story blogfests! I like themed ones - it's nice to have something to work with, a starting point. I've never hosted a blogfest myself, so I'm not really qualified to give you advice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure Alex will give you all the info you need!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to take FOREVER to write a book. I was a discovery writer, so I often had plot threads that went nowhere, or even useless characters. I started to outline using the 7 point structure. Also got Scrivener. That's been huge.

    Your blogfest sounds cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My fiction takes a while to write. It's usually a year before it's complete and polished enough.

    Your blogfest does sound fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can so relate to that frustration of taking forever to get the writing right. It is worth it in the end, but sheesh, a little faster would be good ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blogfests are great for practicing our short stories. If you're wanting to host one, I say definitely give it a go. (And I'm sure Alex has given you loads of advice in his email!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your blogfest idea. And with Alex at your fingertips, you don't probably won't need anyone else's advice. I've found that having some kind of loose outline, even if it's just a few sentences for each chapter, has helped tremendously in getting me through the first draft.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Melanie,

    All artists/writers work at their own pace... Don't sweat it. As long as your are moving along, that;s all that matters.

    LOVE your idea for this blogfest and what a great cause!

    I've done several and they are fun... ALEX is the KING of blogfests, so I know you'll receive all the top information. Keep us posted. I would LOVE to join in...

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is frustrating when it takes so long to get a story down, but at least your on the third book and not still chipping away at the first one. I always have the sneaking suspicion that everyone else can write a perfect novel in six months, while I'm still finding gaping plot holes and loose threads in mine a year down the road. It's also hard to find time to just write with a job and family.

    You'll get there. No stress. As long as you don't have a deadline. In that case, stress away (I know I would).

    Also, I would be pleased to participate in any future blogfest you may or may not facilitate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on sticking with the work, Melanie! It can be very frustrating, but it's worth the goal. It took Harper Lee and Larry McMurtry decades to perfect their masterpieces, and thank goodness they took the time.

    And why not roll the dice on a blogfest? It seems like a fine idea to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The blogfest sounds like a great idea! Let me know, I want to get in on it!

    Oh, and writing is like pulling teeth for me. It feels like it takes forever, and sometimes leaves me totally drained. You're not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's a little something waiting for you on my blog, Melanie.

    ReplyDelete