Friday, July 12, 2013

CassaStar Review


Happy Friday everyone, today I’m doing a review of Alex Cavanaugh’s book, CassaStar.
I’ve been following Alex’s blog for a while, as I’m sure most of you have.  Alex is a natural encourager and on more than one occasion has said just the right words at just the right time to help me keep plugging away. So the big question is - Why didn’t I read his book a long time ago? The answer is simple. I didn’t think I was a fan of space opera, and I wanted to be fair to him. But as time wore on, my little brain piped up: You know you are a Bradbury fan. I nodded. I am. And you read every single one of the Dune books, AND loved them. Another nod; that was true, too. And you’ve read the Space Odyssey books. And saw the movie. Twice. Alright, I finally said. Maybe I do like space opera. Maybe I can read his book and be fair and not judge it just because it’s in a genre I didn’t think I related to.  

Having prepared myself like that, I went in determined to put my prejudice against all things space aside. As it turns out, I didn’t need to be so worried. This book was excellent. I loved everything about it; the pacing, the writing style, the way you got glimpses of the MC, Byron, but never enough to keep you satisfied.

Ever since I finished reading The Hunger Games, I’ve been searching for a series that pulls me in and doesn’t let go. Well, I’ve think I found it.

Alex- all I’ve got to say is you better be a hell of a guitar player, because your writing skills blew me away. J