Monday, July 1, 2013

Different Perspectives


Happy July everyone! For our family the summer starts around the first of May, not weather wise, but that’s when we’re done with school for the year, so July feels like our summer is already half over. Last week my family and I went on a mission project to a camp for developmentally disabled adults. We go every year, a bunch of us do, and do work around the camp to help them get ready for the hundreds of people who will be coming later this summer. For them, the summer is just beginning. Isn’t it funny how our perspectives can be totally different?
Which, of course, brings me back to books. (Doesn’t it always?)

My sister, author Emily White, and I are doing a book tour this summer to promote our books. Our first stop was our hometown of Lockport, NY, which we went to this past weekend. It gave the two of us a fair amount of time to talk and catch up, and of course a lot of what we talked about was books. Now if you know Emily’s work, you know she writes mixed genre; fantasy with sci-fi, steam punk with horror. I, on the other hand, love to both read and write paranormal realism. Is that a genre? If not, I guess I just made it one.  We totally disagree on a lot of what’s out there, but we meet in the middle more times than you would expect. Good writing is good writing, no matter what the genre, and we both appreciate authors who write well, just like July is still summer, no matter what your perspective.
This week I’ll be posting on Wednesday for Insecure Writer’s Group, and on Friday, I’ll finally be doing my review of Immaterial Evidence by Milo James Fowler. Somewhere in those two posts, I’ll also be doing my Celebrating the Small things and Express Yourself updates for this week.
Do you read and write in the same genres, and if so, which ones do you prefer?

14 comments:

  1. I read a lot of different genres, I think. I also started a book club a few years ago where we take turns picking the book. It's great because it got me to read genres I normally wouldn't have picked up and I've found ones I love that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't read a lot of YA/NA, despite the fact I wrote a series in those genres. However, with my two non-fiction books, I've read a ton in those genres and still do.

    Where did you go in Lockport for your tour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have an annual art show there- our spot was right in front of the library, ironically.

      Delete
  3. I'll read anything in any genre as long as it's well written. I also like to experiment with my own writing. I have a science-fantasy series in the works, and I'm working with another author on a YA paranormal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read across genres, and tend to write dark stuff, be it literary, or crime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll read around genres, since there are interesting stories in many. Fantasy is my favorite, particularly provided authors use the fantastic for novelty. Reading Saladin Ahmed's Throne of the Crescent Moon right now, which is rich and refreshing.

    I agree with you, Melanie. Good writing is good writing regardless of genre!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I (like everyone else it seems who commented) also read in a variety of genres. I am not genre specific. It depends on my mood what I pick up to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your sister is Emily? That's very cool.
    Yes, a good book is a good book no matter what the genre.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know Lockport! I grew up in Buffalo. Still have family in WNY. Have fun on your tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cool is that?! I didn't think anyone would know where I was talking about. Next time you're in town, we'll have to meet for coffee.

      Delete
  9. Congrats on the book tour - and for the "catching up" time with your sister.

    It definitely sounds like y'all had fun :)

    I *was* reading a ton of memoirs, because that was my WIP#1... now I'm just reading for fun - and I will read anything - even the back of a tube of toothpaste :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You and your sister write... sibling and writerly bonding? How cool is that?
    I used to read only in the suspense/thriller genre, but now I read across genres.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's got to be great doing a book tour with another writer, and your sister no less! (: And you're right, a well written book is a well written book regardless of genre.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love to write in fantasy, and some in just general fiction, but I always try and read a broad variety of things. I think it really helps keep my writing from getting too strong in one area!

    ReplyDelete