Monday, September 23, 2013

Monday Short, Follow Fest

 
Here is my Monday short- Can you tell I've been reading Treasure Island? Welcome all those visiting from the Follow Fest!

 The Trunk


“Remember when,” the girl’s grandfather began.  

She settled back in her seat, waiting for the rest. For the last two weeks she’d made it a point to listen. She didn’t know if it was the morphine or just him nearing the end, but his stories had taken on an interesting turn of late.

“We used to go to New Brunswick?” he continued, looking up at her.

“Yes Grandpa,” she lied. She’d never been anywhere near New Brunswick.

“And we buried that car in the pond?”

She grabbed the sheet of paper from her pocket. “What pond is that?”

“Oh, you know, the one on Baker’s Road,” he said, while she nodded, carefully drawing a blue circle on her paper, writing the words Baker in the middle of it. She put an X right under the word.  

“And where is that again?” she asked, ready to write the instant the words came out of his mouth. 

“Past the railroad tracks that run through town, about ten yards or so after that old coal shed on Baker’s.”

She scribbled furiously.   

“What else did we do there?” she prodded, hoping to get just a little bit more before he drifted off again.

“The same as we always do,” he said, yawning. “We’re pirates-remember- we bury our treasure.”  With that his eyes fluttered and his breathing slowed to a dream-filled sleep.

She tucked the blanket up under his chin, glancing down at the paper clenched in her hand. For two weeks now she’d been hearing about how he’d hidden his treasure in a trunk. It had never dawned on her that maybe he’d meant the trunk of a car.

It felt like time for a trip to New Brunswick.  

 

 Now, onto Follow Fest.
 
 
 
Name: Melanie Schulz
Fiction or Nonfiction: Fiction
What genres do you write? Nothing specific, whatever moves me. The Newstead Project is a Young Adult Thriller
Are you published?  The Newstead Project, my first book in the Newstead Trilogy was released by Black and White Publishing Co. in May of this year. Book 2, The Bashan Agenda is set to be released on November 1, 2013
Do you do anything in addition to writing? I am a Psychiatric Nurse, as well a homeschooling mom.
Where can people connect with you? Here, mainly. I post every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I also have an author website: www.melanieschulz.com, and am on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thenewsteadproject
 
Great to have you by, will stop by your site soon!
 


30 comments:

  1. Nice to meet you, too, Melanie! I love that you started your Follow Fest post with a little snippet of a story. Great idea - both the post and the story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, we have some things in common. I'm a writer, a neonatal nurse, and a former homeschooling mom.

    Thanks for participating in Follow Fest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melanie, as much Young Adult as a read growing up I can't write it to save my life. Oh well. Anyway, great meeting you through Follow Fest! I've liked your FB page. I really enjoyed the short, too. Makes me want to know more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed your short, Melanie! "Liked" your FB page, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do so enjoy your shorts... err your short stories! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Melanie! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Congrats on book 1 and 2 of your trilogy. My you are a busy woman. And I thought I was busy. You one-up me by homeschooling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed the short - I can't write short stories to save my life, and yours drew me in right away. I'll check back to see if we get to find out where this treasure hunt goes. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that short, especially the part about how the grandfather says that they're both pirates. Sounds like he has a great imagination, unless he really was a pirate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoyed that short! :) Treasures are always great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed that short! :) Treasures are always great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoyed that short! :) Treasures are always great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What's in the trunk! What a great start to a longer piece. (:
    Didn't know you were on fb, off to check out your page ====>

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was a great flash fiction! Are you going to expound it? Sounds like the making of a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved your short! Great to meet you through the follow fest.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on your trilogy! Fun to see you participated in A-Z too. I'm going to go back and look at your posts from those. Looking forward to following!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the short piece you wrote. Best of luck with your trilogy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice to meet you, Melanie! I enjoyed your short piece and am looking forward to following here. Also great to learn about your books - good luck with the trilogy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great to meet to you, Melanie.This blog hop is great!I'm getting to meet some motivated authors!Glad to add you to my list of connects!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello, Melanie! I believe I've followed a while ago. Your books sound amazing. Good Luck with the trilogy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi there! I'm coming over from Follow Fest to follow your blog, which seems pretty neat! Nice to meet you, new follower here!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Melanie! Nice to meet you. :)
    ~Skye

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's nice to learn more about you during this follow fest. Your little short was great. Made me want to know more. Happy to follow you round and about. Writer’s Mark

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oooh interesting. Cool you're in Follow Fest.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very artist site. Hello, I'm Judith. Glad to make a new friend. Visit me.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm fascinated by the idea of a YA thriller. :)

    ReplyDelete