Monday, May 19, 2014

Release Party

I did it. I had my first actual release party. It wasn't huge, maybe a dozen or so of my closest friends at my house, eating chocolate and sipping wine, but it felt huge. And it felt like time.
Before, whenever I released a book, my husband and I would go away for the weekend, or out to dinner to celebrate, but this, this bringing other people into it, was new.
Now I know a lot of writers are introverted people, but I'm not. I'm actually very comfortable in social type settings--but my books are different--they're too close, too important to me. It was actually a major step of faith to send out the invitations. It's one thing to have strangers I'm never going to see read my book, something completely different having my friends reading it, having them know what's going on inside this messed-up head of mine.  
Do any of you have this same hang-up? Ever had a release party?

Line up for this week:
I'm going to do things different around here. I've found that I'm posting three times a week, and that's great, but it doesn't give me much time to visit all of you, and that's not the friend I want to be. So from now on, I'll only be posting twice a week so I can use that extra time to visit all of you. This week my next post will be on Friday.

See you then,
-Mel

15 comments:

  1. Glad the release party went well! I've never done one.
    I'm only posting once a week now so I have more time to visit others and write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the release party! My first was absolutely wonderful. So many supportive friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! Hope you had fun. I feel awkward and exposed telling one person about my writing, so I understand your nerves. :) But I'm sure they're all happy and excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never had a release party. I don't think anyone would show up! I'm a big extrovert, but none of my friends are reader/writer-types.

    I'm so glad yours turned out great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the release party, Melanie! And I know I owe you a blog review-apologies!@ It'll be up within the next couple of days!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your release! I've never had a release party because so far I've only published a short ebook. My next publication will be a novella ebook. I guess I'm saving my release party for when I publish my first novel in print. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never had a release party with friends like that. It sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the release party!
    Sounds like it went well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAPPY RELEASE PARTY!!!! That's great Mel! And we would LOVE to see more of you. I'm actually thinking of doing the same thing. Three times a week is getting hairy and now I have to query my second novel. EEEK! But after three years of fine tuning it's so time to do it.

    I know how you feel about your friends and family reading your book. My second book is very intense and somewhat personal to me, so at times I thought twice about sending it to betas who are close friends. Because the subject matter is about child abuse, I feel the eye brows raising and wondering, "Was he?" It does reveal a small part of me, but we need to let people in. Our writing is personal and real. WE all put a part of ourselves into each story...

    GOOD for you that you went for it and had an amazing time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on that. I haven't had a release party yet. I've done some stuff online, but never a party. Sounds like a good way to reward yourself for achieving the feat of writing and publishing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the release party! I hope you had fun.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the idea of a release party (maybe it's the eating chocolate and sipping wine that really piqued my interest, lol) But seriously, it's brilliant to be able to share this type of thing with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your release! A real live party sounds like great fun and a perfect milestone to celebrate. I wish you the very best and I hope one day I can organize something similar. I guess I need to get back to writing... :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! I have a feeling that you're headed in a wonderful direction. Loving the books! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful news! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete