Wednesday, May 7, 2014

IWSG


Today is the first Wednesday of the month, which makes it ISWG time. Thanks again to Alex Cavanaugh and friends for hosting this. If you haven’t checked out the ISWG site yet, you should. It’s full of all kinds of writerly-type advice. You can find it here
I’ve been forced to get over one of my biggest insecurities this month. I tend to care way too much about what people think of me, and that’s not a good thing. Not in writing, and certainly not in life. This particular lesson came in the form of a rally I went to a little over a week ago. It was for a political cause I feel very passionately about. As with most things, there were two sides to this argument. I don’t think I’ve ever been told to f**k off so many times before. The people on the other side hated me, just for being there. It was a very eye-opening experience, and not just about politics. It opened my eyes to people, too. I realized not everyone is going to like my books because my books and the things I write are offensive to some people because life is sometimes offensive and I don’t try to skirt around life. And that’s okay. Sometimes you have to stand there and hold up your sign (books) and get ready to be told to f**k off.
Have you been forced to get over any insecurities recently?