Friday, May 23, 2014

My Garden

For those of you who don't know, I get pretty into my garden, especially this time of year. It's a time of projects and planting and moving things. All the plans I've complied over the last year need to be done in the month of May, because that's when the soil is workable and the plants are coming out of their dormancy. Now, it's the month of May for me, because of where I live. For some people it might be April, and for others it's June or July, and that's only talking about this hemisphere. It still blows my mind that for people in Australia, December is considered Summer. Now, what is my point in all this you might ask?
Simple.
Because I'm a writer and way overthink things, I tend to make a lot of correlations between my garden and writing, and one of the biggest lessons I've learned is timing is everything. If I went down south right now, I'm sure I'd see lots of gardens in full bloom while mine is just a pile of dirt with some seeds buried in it. And that's okay. It's not time for mine yet. That's why we shouldn't compare our gardens (books) to other people's. We should just enjoy theirs while we wait for ours to bloom.

How is your garden going?

I've just read a wonderful review of Blackbird, posted by Randi Lee, Thank you so much Randi for your review, I'm so glad you liked it. Read Randi's review here

12 comments:

  1. That's an excellent analogy!
    I did see your review - awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree... it is an excellent analogy! Chicago is blooming all over, although it's still chilly. But the grasses are green and the trees are filling in nicely. I just wish it would pick a temp already. We've been fluctuating from the 40's-80's for the past few weeks now.

    Have a great weekend, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Usually I have a little more done outside by this time. Spring took her time in arriving. By this time next week, I expect everything to be mostly done. Just weeding, harvesting and mowing the grass until fall after that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a rotten gardener, but I love this analogy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm horrible with gardening. I think I should live in some big city with no grass, in fact, because I spend most of my time indoors and never plant anything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great lesson. I learned not to compare my books to other author's books the hard way. Now I can appreciate other books and not beat myself up. But I sure do wish I had a fabulous garden! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Waiting until the proper time is always difficult, no matter what you're doing. And if you can get yourself to the point where you can admire others' works, whether in the garden or in the writing line (great thought!), you have more to enjoy. Great post! Diana at About Myself By Myself

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a fellow gardener, your words are spot on! Timing here didn't matter for our garden though as we had a totally unexpected and historical late frost (May 15). Unheard of in Mid Missouri. But my plants survived :) *A to Z road trip

    ReplyDelete
  9. As someone who loves gardening, I totally agree with this analogy-- happy gardening to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. P.S. I nominated you for the Liebster Award, Melanie. If you want to accept it, you can find more info here: http://writewithfey.blogspot.com/2014/05/liebster-award.html

    Happy Memorial Day! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha, my garden is waiting for the seeds to be planted. Happy gardening to you Melanie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! Another gardener. Although I don't spend as much time gardening as I used to (writing takes up more of my time now), I still like to get out there and plant. I should be finished with the planting by this weekend.

    ReplyDelete