Friday, May 16, 2014

Flash FIction Friday


Welcome to Flash Fiction Friday, this is a piece I wrote some time ago and posted on this blog, but for some reason it keeps haunting me, so I'm posting it again.
 
untitled
The woman pulled the fur coat in closer, like it was still an animal, like it could still protect her. But it couldn’t. It was just as dead as she was about to be.
And just like that fox, long gone, she didn’t suspect the gravity of the situation she was in until it was too late. There was nervousness, of course, there is always bound to be that when someone steps into the elevator with you and quickly pushes the button to close the door. But rest assured there will always be rational thoughts to overcome those nerves; perhaps he was just in a hurry... And as he turned to face her, knowing he was stronger, knowing she didn’t stand a chance, those rational thoughts slipped away, too late to be of good use to anyone. 

9 comments:

  1. I remember this piece. It leaves a powerful impact, even reading it all over again. Great job Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An elevator always makes me nervous when I am alone, and then some man steps in. Always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, so good! The first three sentences hooked me and gave me chills.

    Always be suspicious of the other elevator passengers. In movies and shows they tend to be stalkers or killers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, Melanie... very intense!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have I been gone from here for so long?! Your new blog layout is amazing!

    I'm still working on the next book, but I'm going to have to review the first one before I read so I know I'm well oriented, but I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to have you back, Katie. Can't wait to hear what you think about Blackbird!

      Delete
  6. I love the power of the beginning and shivery, open-ended conclusion.

    ReplyDelete