Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Y is for Yellow

For this year’s A to Z, I will be doing a collection of flash fiction featuring Steven, the MC from Blackbird, from right before he came to Newstead through his first week there.
Y is for Yellow
 
     Sargent Foltz handed me a yellow uniform.
     “What’s yellow for, sir?” I asked. Everyone I’d seen at Newstead had been in a uniform, but there wasn’t just one color; there were lots of them. I knew it had to mean something.
     Foltz was wearing yellow.
     “Who is your father, Raynor?”
     I froze. I thought he was dodging my question; I didn’t realize he was answering me.
     “Your father is Azul,” he continued. “And Azul’s color is yellow.”
     “How the hell do you know that? I don’t even know who my father is.”
     His eyebrows rose and I looked at his uniform again. “We’re brothers?”
     His silence was answer enough.  

Just two more days to sign up for my Rafflecopter:
    
a Rafflecopter giveaway