Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Small Things



Today I’m going to celebrate the small things with something rather significant, at least for me.

I had my first encounter with public speaking on Monday night. It was a small group, maybe thirty, all women, all of us there to promote ourselves to each other. There were massage therapists and realtors, insurance agents and jewelry designers, and me. We all were given three minutes to talk about ourselves and the business we were in. Everyone was very friendly, probably because we were all in the same boat; every eye would be on each one of us in our own turn.

Did I mention there was a timer? Yes, there was. When my time came, I did a brief introduction to myself and my book. Thankfully, I brought a copy of it with me, so I had something to hold in my shaking hands. After the intros I looked at the clock. Only a minute had gone by. I flipped open my book and read the first page or so. My heart was pounding in my chest so hard I could barely hear my voice. I glanced up again. Thirty Seconds left.

“Questions?” I asked, looking around the room for the first time.

Have you ever seen someone’s face when they were really into a story? That rapt look with gleamy eyes and an expectant smile? That was what met me. On every face. It was wonderful.

I hope all of your small things are really rather significant, too.


The question for Express Yourself this week is What questions do you hear all the time? That's an easy one- "Why?" (I'm a mom. I hear the question "Why?" a minimum of eighty-six times a day)

 

17 comments:

  1. AWESOME!! Good for you Melanie. You did it. And everyone was into it. Rock on!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! Knew you'd do great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's an awesome presentation. Power in leaving them hungry for more. I'm totally looking for opportunities like that around here now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! So glad it went well. :) That sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew it would go well! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so wonderful! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is awesome to hear, Melanie. Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic! It really is awesome. Congratulations!

    Nas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! I'm so happy it went well! Great job- I hope you get a lot of success from venturing out into it! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like that was a great first speaking engagement for you. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so wonderful an experience you had your first day of public speaking. I'm going to join a Toastmaster's International and hope to have similar experiences... I can dream... :) Writer’s Mark

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a terrific feeling, Melanie! Congrats that it went so well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for you, go you! that's a really brave thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rapt attention? Awesome! As a junior high teacher, I see that once in a while...

    ReplyDelete
  15. As one of the Heart Link Group members, I have to tell you, you did not look nervous, nor did your hands shake. You did a fantastic job! Hoping to see you again at the July gathering.

    ReplyDelete