Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Insecure Writer's Support Group time




Hello, and welcome to my very first insecure writer’s post.
Maybe because this is my first, I find myself at a loss for what to write. Not that I’m a brilliant writer that has got it all together, far from it. My grammar leans towards the atrocious side (it turns out I love semi-colons), and thank God for spell check or all of you would see first-hand exactly what kind of grades I got in elementary school.

It’s that I’m not. I’ve never claimed to be a great writer, never had a bunch of degree letters to put after my name, never cared to, really.  I tell stories. I tell stories with the same passion and purpose as one sitting down on the edge of their children’s bed late each night.  With that comes freedom. Picture it: You’re on their bed, telling your latest version of the little people who live among the flowers-are they noticing the gaps or bad grammar? No. They’re begging for more, More!  With them I am fearless.
There is no insecurity in that.

I promise in future posts  you’ll hear how I cringe when I read a bad review and how frustrated I get when I read a typo in my manuscript that has been edited for like the thousandth time, but today, for my first, I wanted you to see how I really view my writing, or “story telling”, rather.

Please allow me one moment to do a few plugs for two very incredible people.

1.      Charmaine Clancy over at  www.clancytales.blogspot.com is having a kindle fire give away to help promote her new book Dognapped. It sounds like a very interesting read; go check her out.

2.      DL Hammonds at www.dlcruisingaltitude.blogspot.com  is hosting Write Club again this summer. For those of you who don’t know what this is, think Fight Club, only with a 500 word short story, instead. I, personally, can’t wait for this to start, there’s some great writing going on out there.

19 comments:

  1. What a great post, and what a great surprise when I got to the bottom! Thanks for the mention :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great story is what it's really all about. Perfect grammar counts for nothing if you don't have that passion for storytelling. Having read your A-Z posts, you don't have to worry about that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with Nick!

    Have a great Wednesday. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love telling my kids stories. :) Great post! Welcome to IWSG!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing wrong with a well placed semi-colon...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You still possess the joy of storytelling. Never lose that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melanie, you don't need a bunch of degrees to be a good storyteller. You've got the right idea--the desire to entertain someone with a good story. When we love to do that we'll bring passion to the project.

    Sia McKye OVER COFFEE

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a good attitude, Melanie.
    Welcome to the IWSG!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a thing about semi-colons, too. I use them far too much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a thing about semi-colons, too. I use them far too much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a thing about semi-colons, too. I use them far too much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a thing about semi-colons, too. I use them far too much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic first post.
    I'm glad I'm not alone in the spelling and grammar challenged arena.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome to the group. We all have our issues. Grammar is my nemesis; I can relate.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome to the IWSG! A passion for storytelling is the main ingredient, IMHO. The rest is technical expertise, which can be learned and fixed. The magical spark cannot. You have it or you don't. :)
    Laura Eno – A Shift in Dimensions

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a terrible problem with punctuation and homophones that spell check never catches.

    Don't stress too much about IWSG subjects. You'll never run out of things to be insecure about.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome, Melanie! Passion is the most necessary ingredient. It takes us far.

    We all cringe at the bad reviews. I decided to quit reading mine altogether. I'm so much saner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. We all feel insecure from time to time so know you're not alone!

    And I am really excited for another year of Write Club!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Welcome Melanie.
    We all have our grammatical shortcomings. Mine is the ellipsis. I really get carried away with it.
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete