Monday, June 17, 2013

Public Speaking


Today I’m doing something I’ve been dreading for weeks. I’m going to stand up in front of a large group of women and speak. About me.

Now I know for some of you this is no big deal, and it shouldn’t be for me, either. I’m not shy in any way. I talk. As a psychiatric nurse, that’s what I do. But in that case I’m talking to and about them, not about myself. Tonight, for three minutes, a large room full of women will be looking at me and expecting something rational and hopefully interesting to come out of my mouth. And the worst part? I’m not even remotely prepared for it. Like a bad dream, I kept pushing it to the back of my mind…later…later I said; only now there is no later. The day has come and I have nothing.

I’ve thought about just reading the first few pages of my book, and that’s probably what I’ll end up doing. It’s the safest route, anyway, and requires little to no preparation on my part. But I feel like that’s not quite enough. Have any of you done any public speaking, and if so-what do you talk about?

You probably noticed I didn’t post a short today, that’s because I’ve been working on one for DL Hammon’s Write Club. For the month of June he’s accepting 500 word shorts for his Write Club competition this summer. Check it out at: www.dlcruisingaltitude.blogspot.com

On Wednesday, I’ll post about how tonight went and then on Friday I’ll be doing a review of Immaterial Evidence by Milo James Fowler.

12 comments:

  1. You can do it! Although public speaking isn't my thing either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a high school speech coach and I hate having to talk about myself, too! It's totally not the same as having to talk about, well, anything else! But you'll be fine. :) Read from the book, talk a bit about your journey as a writer, then open it up for questions. You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talk about the book. Talk about the inspiration behind it. You can read the blurb on the back and then go from there.

    I've been to numerous events like that and only once did I read from the book. I prefer not to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I TOTALLY understand- I do a lecture for roughly 42 guys once a week and it doesn't phase me at all because i'm educating them about something. You ask me to get up in front of a group and talk about me? Yeah, I'd be freaked, too.

    I think L. Diane's got the right idea- talk about the writing. If people have questions about you specifically, you can just answer them. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best with write club! Talk about an anecdote perhaps? How you attained your goal/dream? It's about you, but not quite.

    You'll be great. Remember to breathe. Know anyone in the audience? Talk to that person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope it went well! I do a fair amount of this but not usually about myself--I get up in front of all sorts of groups and talk about PTA or school stuff. Even graduation speeches for the junior high schools, no worries. But I did a speech last month for 8 members of the Rotary and was actually shaking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck! I'll be waiting to hear how it went. Sending good vibes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck Melanie! I'm sure you will be fine. My advice is to speak from the heart. Whenever I had to address a crowd, I always do best when I speak straight from the heart. I also make fun of myself, a lot. That helps. But sarcastic, self-deprecating humor is my thing...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in the same boat as you... not comfortable when it comes to public speaking...
    I can sing in front of people... but it's not the same thing.
    I hope it went well!

    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was a college instructor and loved standing up in front of my classes to talk about writing and journalism. Any other kind of public speaking filled me with dread—and it still does.

    I hope everything went well!

    ReplyDelete