Thursday, January 17, 2013

Writer’s Conferences.


This is the first year I’m not going to one. For the last two years I’ve headed to NYC for SCBWI’s winter conference and had a great time. I didn’t leave last year thinking it would be the last time I would go, it just was.
I only have so many times a year I can convince my husband to go with me to NYC, so I decided to cash them all in on BEA (Book Expo America) instead. I’ve never been to BEA before and really don’t know what to expect, except that I’ve been warned to be overwhelmed.
I’m not saying writer’s conferences aren’t important or that being around other writers isn’t valuable. I have this blog, and visit several of yours as often as I can because I know it is.  The first Thursday of every month you’ll find me at my local Panera sipping coffee with as many other local writers that show up. I love that.
But as far as my traveling goes, I’m ready for something else.
How about you- have you been to a good conference lately, or are you doing something else, too?

4 comments:

  1. I haven't been able to make it to one for awhile either. I'm hoping to make my local SCBWI conference this year.
    I am going to try my darndest to make it to either one of the big SCBWI conferences next year, or BEA. I guess it's time to start saving!
    I look forward to hearing what you think of it. Maybe you can help me decide which one to shoot for. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the winter conference for SCBWI in NYC. I learned so much, but it just feels time for something new. I'll message you when I get back and let you know how it was.

      Delete
  2. I confess I've never been to a writers' conference. But I do get together with other writers online and of course every first Wednesday for the IWSG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful, laying yourself out there kind of thing- way out of my comfort zone, but I loved it.

      Delete