Thursday, January 31, 2013

End of BIg Box Brick and Mortar?


I was visiting Nathan Bransford, Author’s blog yesterday and read something that surprised me, and didn’t at the same time. He said that Banes and Noble made a statement that they were going to close a third of their stores; that’s twenty stores a year for the next ten years.
Does that surprise you?
The last time I was in a Barnes and Noble, I did buy something; it was a last minute Christmas gift that I didn’t have time to order online. But usually that’s what I do, I go to Barnes and Noble to look, but then I order on Amazon. The only exception to that is my local book store. It is a quaint little place with (free) fresh ground, fresh brewed coffee and a sales staff that knows your name and just what to recommend for you. I love it in there. I could live in there. And yes, I’ve purchased many full price books from them from the sheer pleasure of their store and their knowledge.
Where do you purchase your books?

12 comments:

  1. Ever since purchasing my first iPad, I've been an eBook convert. Doesn't surprise me those stores are closing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either, but I hope it doesn't trickle down to my local bookstore. They make the best coffee ;)

      Delete
  2. I'm sad to hear that about B&N. I would buy more there if the store was closer to me. I guess they'll survive on their college book stores. it broke my heart when Borders closed. I'm been buying a lot of my books from BAM but I've also been borrowing from the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm an amazon girl myself, but there is nothing like walking around a book store and seeing and smelling and feeling those books in your hands.

      Delete
  3. I'm a Kindle addict all the way. Bring all your 37 new books on vacation in one slim package...I have a feeling it's going the way of the music industry...electronic. Not that it's a bad thing...but it will take some adjustment on everyone's part.

    Welcome to the Challenge!

    Tina @ Life is Good
    Co-host, April 2013 A-Z Challenge
    @TinaLifeisGood, #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I'm a moody reader, so I never know just what I'm going to want to read, which makes the Kindle great.

      Delete
  4. I had my books in B&N for a while as I had an account with them a couple years ago. They were god to me and snobbish at the same time. Sorry to see any brick and morter store go, although almost all of my purchases are now ebooks.

    I saw Borders go into bankruptcy and was sad as I did numerous book signings with them. Its a bitter sweet memory as I am glad self published authors can now do their own thing and be successfule.

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true, it's opened up the door to many new books that ordinarily we'd never get to see.

      Delete
  5. I used to enjoy going over to the Borders across the street from where I live. Now there are no nearby strictly bookstores and the way they've been closing it doesn't surprise me that so many are continuing to close. Amazon is so much easier and has a far greater selection than any bookstore.

    Lee
    Wrote By Rote
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I buy most of my ebooks from Amazon. But I still love going to Barnes and Noble. However, I do scan prices and find the same exact books for 25-50% cheaper online. Sad, but gotta make every dollar stretch.

    I also go to used and smaller independent books stores....no price shopping there. Gotta help support the little guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to justify the extra expense, I know. But I'm with you with the independent stores. For some reason it just feels different.

      Delete