Tuesday, January 29, 2013

"Day Job"


Last year about this time I went from working two twelve hour shifts every weekend to just working one on Friday nights as a Psychiatric Nurse. It was quite a shift for us as a family, because I was in a wonderful position of that being considered a full-time job.  Many things went into that decision, and yes, writing was one of them. Mainly I decided I wanted to do a few things well instead of many things poorly. As far as the writing went, I decided that was what I wanted to do now, but you know, when people ask me what I do, I still automatically say I’m a nurse; which is technically true. But I spend way more time writing than working as a nurse.  I also make way more money as a nurse than I do as a writer. I wonder if that’s why I don’t consider it my real job? I Oh well, just the psychoanalyst in me at work again.
What is it you do? And when people ask, do you say that you’re a writer or do you just say your “day job”?