Tuesday, January 29, 2013

"Day Job"


Last year about this time I went from working two twelve hour shifts every weekend to just working one on Friday nights as a Psychiatric Nurse. It was quite a shift for us as a family, because I was in a wonderful position of that being considered a full-time job.  Many things went into that decision, and yes, writing was one of them. Mainly I decided I wanted to do a few things well instead of many things poorly. As far as the writing went, I decided that was what I wanted to do now, but you know, when people ask me what I do, I still automatically say I’m a nurse; which is technically true. But I spend way more time writing than working as a nurse.  I also make way more money as a nurse than I do as a writer. I wonder if that’s why I don’t consider it my real job? I Oh well, just the psychoanalyst in me at work again.
What is it you do? And when people ask, do you say that you’re a writer or do you just say your “day job”?

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm...deep question. When people ask me what I do, I reply: "Medical sales rep." Unfortuntely, as the bread winner, I work long tough hours and I'm on the road a ton. So my writing is secondary, unfortunately. But it forces me to make the best use of my time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes what you "do" and what you love are two different things. Sorry, getting deep again.

      Delete
  2. People don't ask about my writing, but I don't exactly volunteer it either. I guess they just assume I'm a stay-at-home mom and leave it at that. I can understand your perspective. A lot of people think writing is just a hobby, but we know better, don't we? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm like that too, it feels too personal, too private. I cringe everytime I'm told I have to promote myself.

      Delete